cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Controllers SSID limitation

vramanaiah
Level 1
Level 1

Although the centralized design of WLAN controller solution looks very attractive to me, i am unable to propose this solution to one of our clients due to the apparent limitation that it has with respect to mapping the WLAN to SSIDs. I understand that although it supports 16 SSIDs, one cannot map a given SSID in a group of APs to a particular WLAN and map the same SSID in another group of APs to another WLAN. Basically what i am trying to achieve is to breakup the broadcast domain for a given SSID. Say i hv guest SSID defined in the WLAN controller. All the nodes associating to this WLAN controller via APs, using this SSID will belong to one broadcast domain. If this controller manages say 50 APs and there are atleast 20 users per AP, then about 1000 users in one broadcast domain. I want to know is there any way that we can breakup this large broadcast domain..

6 Replies 6

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

For your scenario I would suggest that you configure VLANs in your network. For more information on how to configure VLANs on APs read the document available at the following URL.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

Darren Ramsey
Level 4
Level 4

AP Groups should do that for you.

I could not find any info on this AP groups..could you please point me to some documentation..?

Let me know if this helps.

That is really interesting. Where did you get that doc from?

This is exactly the feature i was looking for.. Thanks for sharing it.

Just to be sure, could you please let me know the software version this feature is supported on? I am referring to the 3.2 documentation on CCO and it does not talk about the AP group feature there..

Ignore my comments on the last line..

I can see it is supported in 3.2 from this document..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00805a6b28.html#wp1040568

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card