cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 version 7.3 DHCP Option 43

cslack1313
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a new wireless network and am wanting it completely segemented off my Local LAN. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems I am not able to use the WLC Internal DHCP to add option 43. I am needing to created DHCP scopes on different subnets then my management subnet. I do not want to have to get a stand-alone server just to deliver option 43 to my APs.

Is there anyway that I can pass DHCP request to my APs when they are on a different subnet than my management interface using the Controller only? Or am I out of luck and I have to find some kind of external DHCP server?

Thanks           

9 Replies 9

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I feel your pain ..

Here  is a simple solution. First, the AP only needs to join the WLC one time to know where she lives.

Prime the APs by putting them on the same subnet as the WLC management interface. Once they join.. Then disconnect and move to the subnets as needed.

DONE

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Oh, to anwser you question about 43. The DHCP server on the WLC doesnt do option 43. And to be honest doesnt do DHCP well either. I would use a real server if you can.

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

thanks for the help. I tried doing your first suggestion. Have the AP join on using DHCP on the same subnet as the management interface. Then I created a second interface and connected that AP to it. It loses connection and doesn't come back.. Do I need to create a second DHCP scope? If it has already joined to the original scope will it renew to another scope on another subnet?

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Are you trying to use the ethernet ports on the front of the 2504 to connect the APs? If so, that is not a good solution. It is recommended to use an expernal switch.

Damon,

Currently I am using the 2 POE ports in front of the switch. This is temporary as I have a cisco catalyst on the way.. For the most part shouldn't I expect the same results?

it can work, it's just not recommended.

But you don't need to add an interface for the AP, it will find the mgmt interface, with out it

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

#On 7.3 directly connected APs are supported only for Local mode APs.

#Directly connected APs work only if they're on Management VLAN interface of WLC.

#Controller is not a router, i think you've remapped the interface to use non management interface and got stuck.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

WLC internal dhcp doesn't support option 43, on AP connecting switch/router use ip helper for management ip of wlc and forward capwap and lwapp protocols.

All enterprise dhcp servers support option 43.

If you've handfull of APs, you can configure the APs manually with Management ip of WLC or Use Test capwap command to join AP manually from any network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card