Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 3504 second HS pair for more licenses, best practice

binks
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we already use one WLC 3504 pair in HA SSO mode with 150 licenses. Our customer now needs more licenses.

What is the usual procedure?

We would like to install another pair in the same location.

Is there a best practice guide for this setup?

Is it possible to manage all APs from one controller?

Binks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Nothing to stop you installing the 2nd pair.  No you can't manage all the APs from a single WLC - you'd need to use something like Cisco Prime Infrastructure for that.

But will the APs be at a different site or co-existing with APs on the other pair so users need to be able to roam between them, in which case you should configure mobility between the pairs.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/3504-wireless-controller/eos-eol-notice-c51-744737.html  , consider customer to think about , is it worth to further invest in this platform (licenses or other). Perhaps best to look into migrating to the 9800 platforms and or options

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

binks
Level 1
Level 1

@marce1000 We already have the WLCs and licenses.

- Yes but my argument was in the context of 'needs more licenses' and or the future of the current wireless environment = migrating to an up to date and modern platform.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

binks
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think the customer is going to want that anytime soon.
Then we would be back to my original question of whether a two-pair construct is possible at one location and how best to proceed there.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Nothing to stop you installing the 2nd pair.  No you can't manage all the APs from a single WLC - you'd need to use something like Cisco Prime Infrastructure for that.

But will the APs be at a different site or co-existing with APs on the other pair so users need to be able to roam between them, in which case you should configure mobility between the pairs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card