Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4402 Config Problem

r0me0
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I am currently studying for ccna and I bought a wlc 4402 but after initial setup using CLI i can't connect to the GUI. Both chrome and firefox gives a (err_ssl_version_or_cipher_mismatch) and print that (the client server don't support a common ssl protocol version or cipher). So where am i going wrong? How can i fix this error and move on with study?

help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@r0me0 hi, this WLC model is very old and using old ciphers to encrypt management traffic via HTTPS. you can try below options,

1. try to use old web browser like internet explorer to see if its working.

2. try enabling old ciphers in your web browser. try mozilla firefox to do this because its not affecting other browsers.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

@r0me0 hi, this WLC model is very old and using old ciphers to encrypt management traffic via HTTPS. you can try below options,

1. try to use old web browser like internet explorer to see if its working.

2. try enabling old ciphers in your web browser. try mozilla firefox to do this because its not affecting other browsers.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

@kasun hi back, I am new at all this but your reply was very informative and is a helpful step in my learning and I see your experience with this issue standing out so thank you. Okay i will go ahead and look for and download and enable the old ciphers in mozilla firefox and see what how that works out for me because I have to work with a old equipment lab that i got. thanks

If you use win then go to register abd add tls1.0 and tls 1.1 and check again.

MHM

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to study, you should look into the 9800-CL.  This is a virtual controller of the newest 9800 IOS image, which you can run in ESXi or Hyper-V.  You should have some sort of hypervisor in your lab for testing purposes.  The 4402 is too old to study anything.  

If you still want to use your 4402, then download a portable image of FireFox that still allows the ciphers.  Make sure you download a very old one... 2015 or 2016

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla%20Firefox,%20Portable%20Ed./

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Scott Fella, hello, I do have a oracle vm virtual box on my laptop that i downloaded and setup as part of my lab in a previous learning task but i never thought of using it further and its just sitting there so thanks for giving me a very good idea about how to use the hyper-v.

Scott, since I already have the 4402 in my lab I plan to go ahead and download a portable image of FireFox that still allows the ciphers as recommended and see how that goes. This task, the process of downloading and enabling old ciphers in firefox, will be a new learning effort for me but I have to take on the challenges on order to move forward. thank you for giving me new ideas. So let me see

Keep in mind that moving forward is going with the IOS controller and not AireOS anymore. That is why I suggested at looking at the 9800-CL as that is a free download and licensed up to 90 day’s. It’s the same IOS as what comes with the newer switch platforms and can help you at least to be familiar with the commands and initial setup.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Also keep in mind that 4400 runs an old version of the AireOS software and it's missing some latest features and options that you won't be able to check on that setup, so my recommendation is to deploy both vWLCs from AireOS and C9800-CL versions.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As everyone else has said there is limited benefit from learning on 4402 WLC - it really is VERY old hardware and software!

Regarding your problem - it's not essential to use https for the GUI - you can disable https (secure web) and then simply use http and then it will work fine with all browsers but the latest browsers will warn you that it's insecure.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card