cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5500 - Some clients getting Ipv6 address

kemimol73
Level 1
Level 1

In the process of upgrading from a WLC4400 to WLC5508. Old controller is running 7.0.98 and new controller is running 8.0.100. Uploaded config from old controller to new without any issues. In testing, I noticed some connectivity issues going to a public WLAN we have setup. While testing, I could get an older Android device and laptop to connect without issue. However, I could not figure out why an iPhone, or newer tablet would not connect. We have dhcp setup for public clients with addresses available from ipv4 only. With all the clients, I could see they were getting back correct addresses from the dhcp server. It wasn't until I went into the controller, selected Monitor, and discovered that the trouble clients were showing an Ipv6 address, while the connecting clients were showing an ipv4 address. Just to reiterate, everything has been working fine previously under the WLC4400. There must be a new setting I'm missing somewhere that wasn't available on the older controller. I tried disabling the Global IPv6 config setting, however, it did not resolve the issue. Thoughts??

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

8.0.100 is a deferred release and is not recommended for any deployments.  It would be a bad idea to be doing a migration to a deferred release, and now is probably the best time to start off being up to date with the software.

Why not go for the latest 8.0MR release (currently 8.0.140.0), or if you are looking at newer APs in the future, 8.2.130.0 which has just been released?  If it is a bug of sorts then the chances are high it has been resolved in a later release.  If you were to log a TAC case that is the first thing they would be asking you to do anyway.

Just waiting for SmarNet contract to finalize; will try your recommendation for more recent MR release.

neebaum
Level 1
Level 1
Hi kemimol73, I just saw your post and I know it's a few years old but I'm running into the same issue with our WLC 5520 and 3802 WAPs. It was working fine until we upgraded our controller and waps. Just as you, old devices that were connected previously seem to connect without issues. Any new devices trying to connect have issues. Some connect after a few tries while others don't connect at all and show an ipv6 address in the clients list. Were you able to figure out a fix for this? Please let me know as this is definitely frustrating. Thanks.

Do you still have free addresses in your IPv4 DHCP pool? Sounds like all addresses are used up.

Hi Patoberli, thanks for your reply.  Yes we have plenty of IPs.  Issued 822 of 1022 so that shouldn't be the issue.

Hi @neebaum

You can go under WLAN ----> Advancded tab and disable the field IPv6 or you can disable globally with the command "config ipv6 disable"

**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***

**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

*Tu reconocimiento nos alienta a seguir participando en los foros *

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

Hi Daniel, thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I already disabled IPV6.  Thanks.

superego
Level 1
Level 1

If you're not using IPv6 then just disable it globally.

Controller > General

Global IPv6 Config drop-down list, choose Disabled.

Hi Superego, thanks for your reply. Yes, I've already disabled the Global IPv6 Config.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card