Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 and associated AP's

wkamil123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with a poor signal. I have two WLC 5508 and 10 ap's 3502. So, that I have two wlc on the network I decided to divide this 10 ap's.

WLC 5508 has 7.0.98 software version.

The 5 first ap was associated to one wlc and the other 5 to second controller.

Two problems was observed, first that some clients which try connect to AP associated  to second controller have problem to obtain IP address from DHCP pool on first wlc.

The second problem is that on this two WLC was configured two DHCP pool. One controller assigns address for a dedicated WLAN and the second wlc assigns address for a second WLAN.

This two WLAN's is broadcast on two wlc.

Kamil

2 Replies 2

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kamil,

I think it would be worth to look more closely at your signal problem rather than what you are trying to do right ?

Splitting the APs 5 on each WLC will change nothing with regards to the signal.

Using a WLC as DHCP server is good only when this WLC is service the clients, if you have clients split between 2 WLCs, it's way better to just use a switch as DHCP pool.

Are your APs 3502i or 3502e ?

If 3502i, how did you mount them ?

If 3502e, what antennas did you connect ?

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

The APs are 3502I model and now are located on the lower ceiling.

From Thursday all APs are associated to only one WLC the second one is just only as a backup and from this time there are not any problems with a signal. This information is directly from clients.

The DHCP pool is located on the first WLC now.

Also, I considered to use switch or other machine as a DHCP pool but it's problematic to deploy now.

Kamil

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card