cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 failover/fallback

gregniemeyer
Level 1
Level 1

We have two 5508 controllers.  One is set up to be Primary (Master Controller) and the other Backup.  We have several campuses connected via fiber to 3850 switches.   Have an issue at one campus after they lose connectivity to Primary.  The APs move to Backup.....but will not move back to Primary after connectivity is restored.  I have been able to make them move....but don't understand why.  If I telnet to one of the APs at the campus and ping the Primary.....all of the APs will move. 

8 Replies 8

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

Is your APs failback mode enabled?

Agree with Steven. With AP Fallback they should go back to the primary when this one is up

Alex-

yes.  it is only the APs at one campus.  All others (about 300) fallback to Primary

Alexey Belousov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

AP Fallback is working only from unconfigured WLC to configured WLC. If you configure Secondary Controller then AP will not go away from secondary to primary. 

It is important to note that the AP only performs AP fallback from an unconfigured controller to a configured controller (Primary/Secondary/Tertiary). The AP does not fall back from a secondary controller to the primary controller if it is currently joined to the secondary controller. This is because the secondary controller is a configured controller.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-mobile/71963-apload-apfall-uwn.html

it is only APs at a one location.  all other APs (about 300) fallback to primary.  

"Primary Controller" are configuring localy on AP (in NVRAM). Maybe these APs have different "Primary controller" and "Secondary Controller" configuration? Could you check this?

all APs have same primary/secondary configuration.  if i telnet to one of the APs and ping the primary.....they all fallback to primary.  Just the ones at this location. 

no idea. Try to configure "Master Controller" on primary. 

Could you send show capwap cli config and show cawap cli ha from two AP ( on primary and on secondary)?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card