Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 multiple country codes, limitations

Stefan Engel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi CSC,

Currently we are running 2x 5508 (7.2.111.3) in our Regional DC and all AP's from APAC are connected in H-REAP mode.

On each WLC the following country codes are configured:

Configured Country Code(s):

CN, ID, IN, J2, J3, J4, JP, KE, KR, PH, PH2, TH, TW

Regulatory Domain:

802.11a:      -ACEJKNPTU

802.11bg:    -ACEJP

We have some sites (mainly China), which facing issues on WLAN recently (slow performance, weak signal..etc.

RF & power level are 'managed' by WLC.

After reviewieing some sites with our vendor, the feedback to improve stability/perfromace, was to either run just 1 country code/WLC..or set RF/power level manually for each AP. (which of course would be an admin nightmare!!)

I havent found the same information on cisco.com & thought connecting AP's from different country's to the same WLC works well (incl. having the WLC manage power/rf)?

Are there any limitations, when having multiple country codes on same WLC?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Stefan

16 Replies 16

Manish Mathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I think this condition has been overcome in the code starting 8.2 now. As per the config guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-3/config-guide/b_cg83/b_cg83_chapter_010110.html

"When multiple countries are configured and the RRM auto-RF feature is enabled, the RRM assigns the channels that are derived by performing a union of the allowed channels per the AP country code. The APs are assigned channels by the RRM based on their PID country code. APs are only allowed to use legal frequencies that match their PID country code. Ensure that your AP's country code is legal in the country that it is deployed."

This applies for the transmit power as well.

So , now , enabling multiple country codes should not have the similar adverse effect as it used to have prior to 8.2. Can someone attest my understanding ?

Thanks,

Manish

Apologies for the haste but it seems that even the 7.4 config guide states the same thing about the unin of the channels. Is the guide incorrect or my understanding is not accurate ?

Regards,

Manish

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card