cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 & Windows Server 2008 radius

Anthony Mile
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys, I need some bailout here. I have a WLC 5508 which i have configured for AP's but i would like to use the windows server 2008 as the radius server to authenticate the Active directory users.

Can i use a separate windows server 2008 as the radius server or I have to use the same server working as the Active directory?

I don't want to request unnecessary server from my client.

Rgds,

Anthony

4 Replies 4

Serge Yasmine
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joe,

you have two choices:

if your windows 2008 radius server can integrate with AD for credentials fetching then you can use it as an Authentication Server Radius on the WLC

or you can do local eap on the wlc and then choose the AD as an LDAP directory for credential fetching directly from the wlc. Local EAP is not recommended for large scale deployments. keep that in mind as well.

If you need more help, let us know.

Thanks

Serge

Hi Serge,

Thank you for the info.

If i choose option 2 to use local eap on the wlc, is it the option which requires the AD to return requests for username & password in plaintext?

Rgds,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

That is correct. Unless if you use secure LDAP then the credentials are secured inside the tunnel.

Thanks

Serge

I am trying to take my WLC 5508 and have backend authentication through LDAP using web auth. i have tried and tried to set this up but it fails everytime.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008067489f.shtml

I used that document to get me most of the way there but i cant get the part in the WLC where i go to SECURITY>AAA>LDAP, from here i click on the SERVER index that I want to use which is 1 and not sure what creditenals to put in some of those fields on there. the fields are USER BASE DN: , USER ATTRIBUTE: , and USER OBJECT TYPE: .  I have tried to do it as the link says from above but it just does not work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card