Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 licence rehost after eos/eol

zwierzu90
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I just have a question to hipothetical case:
- WLC 5520 is long after end of support and end of life and has failed. I would like to replace the device with the spare one which I have but still have to rehost licence from the failed unit.
Is there a possibility to do this via licensing portal (or anything that will suceed this tool) on my own?
Will it differ in process for other WLC series?
best regards

7 Replies 7

Hi

As far as I am concerned, rehost is only made by Cisco guy under a valid contract.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

No chance to do it on my own like other PAK based licences?

I don´t think so considering a new file must be created. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As of 01 January 2018, there is no EoS/EoL notice for the 5520.

Thanks for the answer captain obvious but the question was about a hypothetical situation which can happen lets say in 2050. I do not think that it is possible to migrate licenses after the EOL.

It's probably not, because the product is out of support.
Anyway, the 5520 supports RTU licensing, which means it doesn't require a license file to work. You just say how many licenses you have, agree to the Terms and it works. Yes you'd be in a gray area, but as the product is out of support, it probably won't matter :D

Things can change with licensing that might require a different or new support:) I wouldn't look too far ahead, because as of right now, the 3504, 5520, 8510 and 8540 are RTU. Any PAK files registered under your account, you should be able to move them to a new serial number. There should be a drop down option. Anyways, if you have to RMA for example even with a 5508 that do need license tied, TAC will help you move them to the replacement device.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card