Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 8.5 and DHCP Proxy

mmelbourne
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I am running WLC 8.5.182.0, and for most small VLANs we are using the Internal DHCP Server which is adequate, but not ideal.

For a larger VLAN, it appears to be possible to set "DHCP Proxy Mode" to 'Disable' on a per-interface (VLAN) basis, and the DHCP request is effectively bridged on to the VLAN, where an upstream L3 devices can be configured for DHCP relay.

Can there be a mixture of "Global" (Proxy Mode enabled, and required for the Internal DHCP Server) and "Disabled" (Proxy Mode disabled) dynamic interfaces?

Thanks,

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Scott. The reason for a mix is to facilitate a migration to an external DHCP server, but yes, after which it's not required.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can mix and match, but why?  I would not use DHCP proxy unless it is required.  If you are not using the controller for DHCP, then disable this feature.  Any subnet that has an external DHCP server, I would not have this feature enabled.  

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott. The reason for a mix is to facilitate a migration to an external DHCP server, but yes, after which it's not required.

Also, it confuses folks when the look at their dhcp and seeing an odd ip address.  Back in the day's it was normal to use that, but the support for internal dhcp and the lack of stability for dhcp server in the controller itself, made folks move away from this unless required.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

We use DHCP proxy extensively with external DHCP servers and no problems with it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card