Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC flexconnect sceneario

Hi, 

I have a question, I have 2 WLC , one on site A and another WLC in site B, 

both have the same settings, everything is already configured and they have the primary and secondary controllers, 

all is working fine and the design works perfectly between sites, in fact we have done a failover in the past and it works, but there is just one flex connect group as of now.

There is however, as I mentioned,  just one flex connect group on both controllers, so rest assure that all is working as expected and the scenario is ideal and worked using flex connect group local switching and both flex connect groups have the same SSIDs, 

My question is the following, considering it for a testing purposes please, 

If I configure a new flex connect group called A  and B on both controllers, when controller for site A goes down, will the access points from site B will be registered on site B flexconnect group B on site A?

obviously, the access points have to be added on each site, say, 50 APs in Flexconnect group A but on the other site B, I have the same flex connect group A (with no APS assosiated yet), would that work when one WLC goes down?

Im just trying to figure it out if that works so I can more visibility for growth purposes, because Image that on each site there is a new small office, say 5 more APs,

I would have to set up a new flex connect group, but in order for me to allow smooth failover, and control over which APs will be joined to which flex group, I wanted to know if that works like Im asking.

WIFI WLC.PNG

I hope I have made myself clear with my explanation, but if you have questions, please ask me, I will be more than glad to answer, 

so the idea is that each site has its own flex connect group and when one WLC goes down, all APs will be joined to the same group either A or B depending which site goes down.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kn1ghtR1d3rOfD00m,

For the Flexconnect group to work both WLCs needs the correct list of the associated APs MAC addresses configured.

When creating a flexconnect group on the WLC where the APs are connected you can click and add the AP. But on the secondary WLC you need to type in the MAC address.

Easiest way to have the lists up to date is to use Prime and push down the Flexconnect group to both WLCs at the same time.

In your case you need the flexconnect groups configured like this:

WLC1

Flexconnect group A

AP MAC1

AP MAC2

AP MAC3

Flexconnect group B

AP MAC4

AP MAC5

AP MAC6

WLC2

Flexconnect group A

AP MAC1

AP MAC2

AP MAC3

Flexconnect group B

AP MAC4

AP MAC5

AP MAC6

If a AP joins a WLC where the APs MAC is not present in any flexconnect group it will join the default flexconnect group. I hope that make sense. 

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kn1ghtR1d3rOfD00m,

For the Flexconnect group to work both WLCs needs the correct list of the associated APs MAC addresses configured.

When creating a flexconnect group on the WLC where the APs are connected you can click and add the AP. But on the secondary WLC you need to type in the MAC address.

Easiest way to have the lists up to date is to use Prime and push down the Flexconnect group to both WLCs at the same time.

In your case you need the flexconnect groups configured like this:

WLC1

Flexconnect group A

AP MAC1

AP MAC2

AP MAC3

Flexconnect group B

AP MAC4

AP MAC5

AP MAC6

WLC2

Flexconnect group A

AP MAC1

AP MAC2

AP MAC3

Flexconnect group B

AP MAC4

AP MAC5

AP MAC6

If a AP joins a WLC where the APs MAC is not present in any flexconnect group it will join the default flexconnect group. I hope that make sense. 

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Thanks so much for your clarification, 

I will work on it, and let you know, 

Regards, 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card