Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Image to install from CIMC KVM with AireOs file type ".aes"

Mbounda
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

I would like to install an AireOs image (8.10.162) on my Cisco WLC from CIMC vKVM in using a ".AES" file type as downloaded from Cisco Software Center.

I tried to map this file (.aes) as a virtual device/virtual media through the vKVM of CIMC interface but the system doesn't recognize this file with the following error message : "invalid file type" .

I converted it into a ".iso" file, but the boot couldn't get launched when tried (after reboot + F6, ...)

I used to install Cisco servers from CIMC vKVM for Cisco ISE, DNAC, ... servers.

Does someone can give me a hint ?

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You cannot use the .aes file from the CIMC.  Those files are software package bundles that can only be used to upgrade a running WLC over an IP connection (http/sftp/tftp) using console or SSH or the GUI.

If both the WLC images (primary and backup) on disk have been corrupted or deleted so that it can't boot then your only option is to talk to TAC, probably for RMA, as Dustin has already said.  Cisco do not publish ISO recovery images for the 5520/8540.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mbounda
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to add that when I try to boot the WLC server from vKVM in using ".iso" file as virtual media/virtual device, following the process "F6" & choose "vKVM DVD", the system stuck on the bootloading process with the display of "Cisco Boot loader Loading stage2...". Maybe this can be useful to help me finding solution.

Thanks !

So, I believe there is no way to recover an AirOS device if it can not boot. Upgrades etc are done via console or GUI. If you can not boot, I believe you need to work with TAC for an RMA.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You cannot use the .aes file from the CIMC.  Those files are software package bundles that can only be used to upgrade a running WLC over an IP connection (http/sftp/tftp) using console or SSH or the GUI.

If both the WLC images (primary and backup) on disk have been corrupted or deleted so that it can't boot then your only option is to talk to TAC, probably for RMA, as Dustin has already said.  Cisco do not publish ISO recovery images for the 5520/8540.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card