Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC interface types

cisco8887
Level 2
Level 2

All, 

On WLC 5520, when you create LAG, it uses the two 10Gb interfaces. 

What is the use of MGT port on the WLC then ? first port from left

I have used the service port for oob management. 

What would you use the RP interface for ?

Thanks

https://networkguy.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/wlc-ports.jpg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 5520 and the 8540 are Cisco UCS servers.  Like any other server (from different manufacturer) there is always one port to access the appliance internally.  Some call it iLO, DRAK and other names.  Cisco calls it Management Port.  It is one way to access the CIMC.  

RP stands for Redundant Port and is used primarily to directly connect to another 5520's RP in order to pass Heart Beat traffic.  This is is used when enabling HA SSO.  

View solution in original post

Hi

1. CIMC port (out of band management)

2. Console port

3. SP - Service Port

4. RP-Redundancy port (If you are doing HA pair, then you interconenect two WLC using RP)

Refer this for more detail

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/5520-WLC-DG/b_Cisco-5520-WLC-deployment-guide.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 5520 and the 8540 are Cisco UCS servers.  Like any other server (from different manufacturer) there is always one port to access the appliance internally.  Some call it iLO, DRAK and other names.  Cisco calls it Management Port.  It is one way to access the CIMC.  

RP stands for Redundant Port and is used primarily to directly connect to another 5520's RP in order to pass Heart Beat traffic.  This is is used when enabling HA SSO.  

one confusion though, Service port is the out of band management so what is the management port used for ?

In band management and is how the AP's communicate to the controller.  The design guide would list what the management interface is used for.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

well I have utilised port 1 and 2 which are SFP+ 10GB 

and I have also used the service port

I can see all of my APs registered using the management interface which is mapped to Port1 and 2.

management interface itself is not plugged into anything so what is its use?

You didn't  setup the controller properly.  The management should be connected and the service port shouldn't. Look at the guide because once you start using authentication and or mobility, it will break.

-Scott 

-Scott

thanks will read through it tomorrow . it is 2 midnight here

out of intereset why would you not use sp ?

isn't that meant to be OOB port?

It's is, but the CIMC is another way to get to the controller. 

-Scott 

-Scott

all,

i am quite confused on this concept and greatly appreciate your help

what is the difference between dynamic ap manager checkbox available under dynamic interface and management/cimc  interface and dynamic interface?

My understanding is:

dynamic interface: can be set to define seperate subnet for different SSIDs

management:  used to manage wlc but I think this is wrong. it the capwap destination. This should be mapped to the 1Gb CIMC

dynamic ap manager: I think it is an interface which was dynamically created and tickbox for AP manager selected so it acts as the capwap destination tunnel.

How do I work out what port is the management port /cimc is mapped to ? will it always be cmic?

This is confusing as under the "management" interface it does say this is mapped to LAG so where am I using this inband CMIC?

if all capwap are sent to CMIC/ manager then that is a 1Gb link in comparison with 2 x 20Gb links which the dynamic interfaces will be mapped to??

again as per my finidings it seems both Management and Dynamic interfaces are mapped to LAG port so where am I using that management port?

This is why I used Service port in first place as it seems to be also physically mapped to SP port.

what am I missing here?

in that case would the SFPs maps to dynamic interfaces and not management interface?

this is what I can see on cisco website 

If link aggregation (LAG) is enabled, there can be only one AP-manager interface. But when LAG is disabled, one or more AP-manager interfaces can be created, generally one per physical port.

• When LAG is enabled—Supports only one AP Manager, which can either be on the management or dynamic interface with AP management.

now I have configured the management interface and also a dynamic AP manager however non of the APs register and it shows the following error

*spamApTask4: Jul 18 11:24:48.610: 40:ce:24:96:51:00 Discovery Request received on wrong VLAN '10' on interface '8', management VLAN = '5', AP Manager VLAN = '10', dropping the packet

it was always best practice to have both interfaces on the same subnet. I believe, this made it easier and trouble free when the 5508's didn't have an ap manager to configure unless you disable LAG and specify individual ap managers.

found my answer but why they have to be in same subnet ?

As Scott said, use CIMC port for out of band management & not the SP.

Refer below to get that CIMC port to access 5520

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/troubleshooting/trb-guide-wlc-5520-8540.html

Please be careful with configuration options available through it, do not modify any of those settings by your own.

HTH

Rasika

Hi

1. CIMC port (out of band management)

2. Console port

3. SP - Service Port

4. RP-Redundancy port (If you are doing HA pair, then you interconenect two WLC using RP)

Refer this for more detail

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/5520-WLC-DG/b_Cisco-5520-WLC-deployment-guide.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card