Replies

wlc l3 and l2

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

full l3 campus network,

Should I  create an l3 link between wlc and core , or is it l2  required 

between core also layer 3 , there is no stack . where should be the ssid vlans  gateway ? 

Layer 3 roaming requires

Please help

WLC-new.jpg

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need L2 between WLC and core.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi,

I am trying to avoid stp , that's the reason  I would like to go  with L3 , what will happen if we go for L3 

Thanks

what is the reason to avoid STP?

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hi,

Just for best practice 

Thanks

Hi @Sandeep Choudhary 

I don't have  L2 adjacency between core  because the connection between core is layer 2 . 

At this point if I connect (L2 )the wlc to both core  , I have to create SVI'S only on one core .

So I have only one option left , that is to create svi's on wlc. As per cisco it is not recommended . 

What if I choose ap's in flex mode

Thanks

can you please share the best practice guide regarding STP disabling? i didnt found it yet.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hi,

I did not mean  stp disabling , I mean moving towards l3 access layer . All edge are running l3 

Thanks

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would suggest if you are running Layer 3 then your only option would be to have vxlan running on the switches with anycast gateways. 

If not your options are very complex where you have to depend on EEM scripting and IP SLA to achieve the single WLC to have redundant connectivity to 2 Core Switches. I feel you are trying to over engineer the solution just because you dont want L2 between the switches, If possible I would consider adding a Layer 2 link between switches and allow only Wireless VLANs and then enable any FHRP protocol. 

STP is bad in poorly designed networks or when it is not configured properly, I dont think we can move away from STP for the next decade atleast. So my recommendation is if the design demand L2 you provide it, trying to skip it will bring more complexity to the design  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card