Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Location tracking question

randy.klassen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have 2 Cisco WLC 4400's connected to a WCS. I want to use this Location Tracking feature within the WLC 4400s so that i can track movement of particular network devices throughout my facility. I cannot find anything on how to set this up on the internet. I found a PDF explaining the 4 different ways you can track objects but nothing more.

I am just wondering if anyone has set this up before? Is this service still supported in the newest versions?

Thanks,

Randy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MSE is the Mobility Services Engine

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9742/index.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For location tracking like that you need to have a MSE as well as WCS. MSE allows you to track up to 18,000 devices and keeps historical records of them as well. With just was you can only see one device at a time and on,y where it currently is.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen,

Thanks for answering my post. I kind of figured it would not track multiple devices, but I didnt know it would not even track history.

I do have a WCS that manages the WLCs and APs. But what is MSE? MSE stands for a bunch of things so can you be more specific so i can go investigate this?

Thanks again for all your help.

Randy

MSE is the Mobility Services Engine

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9742/index.html

HTH,
Steve

Thanks Stephen!!

Great information and exactly what I need, the only hurdle now will be the price im sure

Randy

Randy,

If you ask your Cisco SE you can get a MSE on demo. In addition to tracking you can also track interference devices (if you have cisco clean air aps) and rouge access points and rogue devices. You get more bang for your buck... Good way to sell the MSE ... "multipurpose" with 1 year of history.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

I did not even think about getting a demo. Thanks for the Info.

Randy

Yup, the servers come in different sizes. You will have a limited license of like 200 devices. Its enough to wet the lips, so to speak.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Stephen,

I didn't even notice you had an EGA picture until now. I just got out myself, 5yr contract.

Semper Fi

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card