Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC management interface vlan tagging

Hey guys, I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong in terms of setting up vlan tagging for WLC management interface, here is my setup

Test One: WLC 3504, Cisco switch 3560, Vlan99 is used for management

WLC Management Interface: 192.168.99.2/24

Vlan tagging: 0 (untagged)

On the switchport where WLC is connected

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 99

With this setup, I can ping WLC from a PC which connects to the access port vlan99 on the switch all works just fine. 

However, I am trying to tag the management vlan on WLC, so I did another test

Test 2:

WLC 3504, Cisco switch 3560, Vlan99 is used for management

Vlan tagging: 99 tagged

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 66

With this setup, the management interface on WLC is set to Vlan99, and I ensure that on the switch where the wlc is connected, it is set to trunk, vlan99 is allowed and is NOT set as the native vlan. However, I am not able to ping the WLC from a PC which connects to VLan99. 

Is there anything wrong in Test 2 scenario ? I am doing it in the packet tracer, would that make any difference ?

Any suggestion would be highly appreciate. 

6 Replies 6

are you allow vlan 99 in trunk ?

Yes, I did not specify which vlans to allow in trunk, so I assume it means to allow all trunks. But I add another command to allow vlan 99, still the same, I can't ping WLC from the PC, nor from the switch 

can you ping from the PC to the GW of the management VLAN ? since the PC and WLC management are in different VLAN then it need GW to connect between each other. 

WLC management interface and PC are both on Vlan 99. 

if you are using this setup on switch:

Test2:

WLC 3504, Cisco switch 3560, Vlan99 is used for management

Vlan tagging: 99 

then use this 

interface gig0/X

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 99

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Rich R
VIP
VIP

All I can say is that packet-tracer is *NOT* a WLC.  It is a little piece of training software which presents a simple and limited simulation of some Cisco network devices.  Only the developers of packet tracer can tell you what it can and can't do and whether you've just discovered a bug.  If they haven't documented it working that way then it's probably not supported that way but that does not reflect how a real WLC will work.  If you want to experiment with anything other than their documented training configs then you should only do it with a real WLC.
https://www.netacad.com/sites/default/files/cisco-packet-tracer-faq.pdf
Q14. Does Packet Tracer support all the features found in Cisco devices?
A. No. The program supports a small subset of the features from Cisco devices. Packet Tracer uses simplified models of networking protocols and Cisco IOS; you should always compare your results to those obtained from real equipment. Practice on Packet Tracer is not a replacement of Practice on real equipment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card