Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC pratical limits

janesh_abey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

the data sheets provide the number of max supported APs on different controller  platforms.

However in practise typically services can get affected before reaching this threshold.

for obvious reasons no vendor will come out and state the practical limit.

Is there a rule of thumb or a recommendation around this?

Thanks,

J

21 Replies 21

Same here... I have customers that keep redundant WLCs at each DC. Put it this way... Unless your vlans are extended to the other DC, the fact that is there was a failover and WLC 1 in DC 1 went down and you had WLC 2 in DC 2 as the backup, well of you didn't extend your vlans, your users who are centrally switched would have to re dhcp again. And not all devices can do this well and if you had static address on certain devices, you are screwed.

That's my opinion about having a primary in one DC and a backup in another DC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

say u need to support 4000APs- instead of having multiple wism2s or 5760s for the matter.,you throw in  8500s.

now if the redundant port was SMOF , you can easily throw  another box in the other DC and have a nice HA setup.

to extend vlans we use VPLS as the core is MPLS.this does not pose any challenges about dhcp.All devices are allocated IPs from DHCP.

In my opinion although 8500 is considered SP grade, it fails in this occasion.It got features for 3g/4g etc and that is fine but in this particular instance it cannot be utilised in an efficient manner

with 7.4 code you can create a lag so the capacity on the uplinks can be 20G but it is unfortunate that the the backplne of the box is 10G :-)box can only process 10G :-) .I also think 10G backplane is not enough in SP environment.

With designs, I ususally tend to avoid multiple controllers unless there is a compelling reason.

In my opinion  there will be hidden costs associated with it such as multiple licenses/support contracts for multiple chassis /supervisors/power/realestate the lot.

In my opinion  there will be hidden costs associated with it such as multiple licenses

Ummmmm ... I think this has changed with 7.4.100.0 firmware.  You get two hardwares, enable HA and the license can be "shared" in event of a failover.

But then, you need to have a second unit. 

Hi Scott,

You mentioned "As for now, it needs to be directly connected. The reason being is that  Cisco doesn't support it unless its directly connected. Until they do,  then you can, but you need to read their fine print."

Have  they  documented  this specifically that they do not support unless the boxes are directly connected?

Thanks mate,

J

It states that in the design guide when I read it when it initially came out. Here is a support guide that mentions a direct connection.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26827

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to wait until Cisco support HA without being directly connected. They will eventually come out with that, but you will also have to wait on what's the requirement for that. I don't thing the hardware is going to change in which it supports what SFP modules.

-Scott

thanks to both of you for the contributions :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: