Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC remote office DHCP

divas80
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have WLC controller in our main office and some APs in it connected to WLC.
Also we have remote office with local DHCP server and some APs.
Remote office is connected to main office by VPN tunnel and remote office APs are added to main office WLC.
We have SSID which is attached to APs in main office and remote office, so that this SSID is radiated in both remote and main offices. Remote users can freely get IP addresses from there local DHCP server as it intended to be.
Is it possible for main office clients to get IP address of remote office when connecting to this SSID, in other words is it possible for main office users to get IP from remote DHCP server?

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... is it possible for main office users to get IP from remote DHCP server?
  - Why would you want to do that , keeping the DHCP services local too is better or service quality , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

We need to test some remote services and access intended for remote office locally in main office. Say we in main office are preparing PC for remote office and need to experience all services like we are at remote office. So when connected to remote office SSID in main office we need to appear in remote office in terms of networking, eve to connect to internet from remote office. 

Earlier in some documentation I read that it is possible for WLC architecture but I can not find this specific configutration.

Please support.

- In principle that should work , you need to search on dhcp configuration and controller model as  for instance in :
          https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/110865-dhcp-wlc.html
          https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/technical-reference/c9800-best-practices.html#DHCPbridgingandDHCPrelay

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Many thanks for your answer. Could you tell me what function should I search for? As I can guess something like a virtual tunnel needs to be activated between main office client and remote office DHCP server as soon as the client connects to this "extended" so to say SSID?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Is the SSID configured for flexconnect local switching?

If so the DHCP is done outside of the AP/WLC on the local VLAN.  So the only way you could do that would be to extend the VLAN to the central office (layer 2 bridging) or you would have to setup a central VLAN with DHCP relay to the remote DHCP server.  But having that remote subnet split between locations is potentially going to cause you routing problems because the return traffic is normally always going to route to the remote office.

It would be better to provide a central VLAN with the same service access allowed as the remote office for your testing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card