Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Virtual Interface Address

j.metzger
Level 1
Level 1

1.1.1.1 is now a legal address.

Should we still be using  1.1.1.1 as the Virtual Interface on the controllers?

Does this mean we need to go back and change the Virtual Interface on the controllers?

http://www.packetlife.net/blog/2010/feb/5/ripe-plays-with-1-0-0-0-network-apnic-allocation/

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally I don't see why you would go back and change it.  There are a lot of clients that are using public/private address for thier VIP.  I guess I don't see how it would affect anything.  But again.... I guess it's easy to just change it and reboot the WLC(s).

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

LesterClayton
Level 1
Level 1

You absolutely should go back and change it.  1.1.1.1 as you have already pointed out is now a valid public IP address.  The Virtual Gateway IP address is used for communication between the Wireless Access Points and the Wireless LAN Controller itself (similar to a loopback IP Address), so any clients connecting through the WLC (using local mode) will be able to ping 1.1.1.1 - but not be able to reach the real 1.1.1.1 if it is your virtual gateway address.

Some might consider this a security feature (smirk), but to comply with standards, this should be an address that is not used on the Internet, nor in your Internal Network.  Consult your IP documentation to look for an available subnet and reserve that only for virtual IP's and/or loopback addresses.

techtommy
Level 4
Level 4

according to the best practice guide for WLC

Virtual Gateway IP It isrecommended to configure a non-routable IPaddressfor the virtual interface, ideally not overlapping with the network infrastructure addresses. Use one of the options proposed on RFC5737, for example, 192.0.2.0/24, 198.51.100.0/24, and 203.0.113.0/24 networks.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/b_Cisco_Wireless_LAN_Controller_Configuration_Best_Practices.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card