cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC wired guest access

j44mistry
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a 5508 WLC with lightweight APs for wireless access including guests.

Now I have users that want wired guest access.  These are laptop users who want the option to have both wireless and wired access on the corporate infrastructure so is they hit a bad signal they can connect their laptops to the corporate LAN and carry on working but also normal corporate users can access LAN on same switch port ?

Is it possible and what is required ?

2 Replies 2

Wired Guest access is possible, but those wired ports you have to configure for particular vlan and trunk that vlan to your foreign controller.

Anchor controller will be on a DMZ where wired users get IP from. Here is a doc to show how you configure wired guest access

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/99470-config-wiredguest-00.html

It is not dynamic nature where guest user can use any wired ports of your network.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hello Rasika,

I thought the converged mobilty solution would help resolve this.  We have 3850 switches and wondered if that can help.   We have 2 Data Center sites with 5508 WLCs setup as primary and backup and with roughly 40 APs but this will grow.    The users a located in another building with 9 floors , each floor  is split into 2 departments with 3 x 3850 switches in a stacked configuration per department.   

This is my first time configuring WLC on 3850 , I found your article on configuring WLC 3850 switch very helpful.  I was hoping for the dynamic access option on the switch for users wanting both wired and wireless access.   I guess this is not the case ?

Is there any limitations with having a WLC configured on 3850 and performance issues ? 

Do you have any more documents on configuring 3850 for WLC i.e Mobility groups, guest banner , simple QOS requirements etc. ?  

I guess since we only have 40 APs we can make our controller redundant ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card