cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC9800 & 9120AX: All clients seem to be only running on 2.4ghz?

williamsonjason
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, looking for some help with the "old n00b". Just replaced my old 5508/3702 environment with 9800/9120AX. 

I keep hearing about connection issues around the campus, and when I look at the Monitoring\Clients page it seems everyone is running on some form of 2.4. Did I miss something in my build, that somehow is limiting them from A/N/AC?

I have the standard "2.4 enabled and 5 enabled" set on the WLAN creation, but else am I missing here?

13 Replies 13

What l3 secuirty you use ?

MHM

williamsonjason
Level 1
Level 1

WPA2-PSK. 

williamsonjason
Level 1
Level 1

Clients are associating fine, it's just that they seem to be "shaped" to only use 2.4 even though I have 2.4 & 5 enabled on the General tab.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Few things

Which country code has been configured on the 9800, and which exact model 9120 are you using 9120AX-x as it could be 5GHz hasnt been enabled due to the country code.

Is 5 Ghz enabled at the global level on the 9800
Were clients connecting to 5GHz prior to the uplift? Was the RF redesigned when the APs were replaced.

Is band select enabled on the SSID.

You could test from a laptop by configuring the laptop to 5GHz only.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

5ghz only makes it so I can't see any SSIDs. 

All SSIDs have 2.4 and 5 Enabled on the General tab

Band Select is not chosen, what does that do?

Country Code: 0

9120AXE-B

C9800-L-F-K9 Chassis version 17.09.04a

@williamsonjason wrote:
Country Code: 0

In CLI, post the complete output to the command "sh run | include wireless country".

same what in my mind 
you need to enable band selection in RF profile 
this feature make AP send the Band to wifi user and user select one of band 
MHM

williamsonjason
Level 1
Level 1

One troubleshooting step I just tried, is I created a test SSID, and left 2.4ghz disabled on the General tab - and i could NOT see it with my phone. Enabled it there and boom - it showed up. SOmething overall - from a global perspective is disabling 5 ghz I think...?

# show wireless stats client detail <<- share this

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Post output of "show ap dot11 5 network" AND "show ap dot11 5 summary"

dang, now where was that policy tab..  that lets us turn on/off radios in selected AP's.?

I just went thru my Tag & Profiles and been there/done that.  Out of Box mode with radios off.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

It is under Configuration > Wireless > Access Points

JPavonM_0-1704989726690.png

But radios been off could mean that you misspelled the rf-tag for them, or the rf-tag is shutdown.

ah yes..  thank you.  and also the AP Operational Configuration Viewer button on the ap listing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card