Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Worth putting AP on 10 gig port

Hello, we are placing old APs with new WIFI 6 APs (C9130AXI-B). Is it worth putting them on 10 gig ports on our 9300? We may have to move ports and reconfigure them. Or will the 2 gig suffice? I know its more bandwidth but I am curious on the performance difference. 

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/nb-06-cat-9130-ser-ap-ds-cte-en.html
 >...

Multigigabit Ethernet support

Multigigabit Ethernet provides uplink speeds of 5 Gbps and 2.5 Gbps, in addition to 100 Mbps and 1 Gbps. All speeds are supported on Category 5e cabling, as well as 10GBASE-T (IEEE 802.3bz) cabling.

Doubt you will ever get 10g client traffic load , (monitor port traffic with network monitoring software , lots of free tools around)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Doubt you will even hit 1 Gbps. As mentioned the 9130s only support MGig upto 5 Gbps. If it was me unless utilisation was showing that 1G being even 80% utilised I wouldnt spend the time reconfiguring ports.

That being said if were doing a switch refresh at same time, I definatly would be connecting to MGig ports to save having to do it in the future.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have several 4800 with >70 daily wireless clients and they are connected to 1 Gbps ports.  Those APs barely hit 600 Mbps daily.  

The most important thing is PoE.  IF the switch can support up to 30.0w, I make it a priority to turn off USB on a 9130 so the AP can operate in full power.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card