cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Applying route-policy on an existing BGP peer on ASR9000

CSC012636105
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to modify the outbound policy for an existing BGP peer on ASR9000, I shut down the BGP session, entered the address family for specific neighbor and removed the existing route-policy, then i applied the new route-policy for outbound traffic. It then returned an error message shown below; the objective of changing the route-policy was to deny RFC1918 prefixes outbound as some are been leaked.

Error message when i try to commit:

After deleting the existing the RPL and inserting the new RPL then commit, got the error message below:

% Failed to commit one or more configuration items during a pseudo-atomic operation. All changes made have been reverted. Please issue 'show configuration failed' from this session to view the errors

See config applied to the BGP peer before commit

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:name-ASR9b(config)#show confi
show confi

Thu Jun 21 04:09:48.459 EDT

Building configuration...

!! IOS XR Configuration 4.3.0

router bgp XXXX

neighbor X.X.X.X

no shutdown

address-family ipv4 unicast

route-policy RPL-description-OUT out

For the route-policy definition:

prefix-set pfx_definition_rfc1918
10.0.0.0/8 ge 8,
172.16.0.0/12 ge 12,
192.168.0.0/16 ge 16

end-set

as-path-set ASPS-definition-OUT
ios-regex '^AS_',
ios-regex '^AS_',
ios-regex '^AS_',
ios-regex '^AS_',
ios-regex '^AS_',
ios-regex '^$'
end-set
set

route-policy RPL-description-OUT
if destination in pfx_definition_rfc1918 then
drop
endif
if as-path in ASPS-definition-OUT then
 pass
else
 drop
endif
end-policy

Prior to the change, a different route-policy was been applied matching only as-path, all am trying to do is create a new route-policy to drop outbound traffic match RFC1918 prefix-set and pass all in as-path.

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I put this in 4.3.4 and it worked, can you try again and when it fails capture 'show config failed'?

Thanks,

Sam

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I put this in 4.3.4 and it worked, can you try again and when it fails capture 'show config failed'?

Thanks,

Sam

Thanks for looking into this, I tried it again on the node this night and it worked. When i "show configuration failed" i noticed that it failed because the route-policy was referencing a prefix-set that wasn't defined on this particular router unlike the others, once i got that fixed it went as planned.

Just out of curiosity, it appears I can't modify a route-policy attached to a BGP neighbor without first shutting down the neighbor before manipulating the RPL statement. When i tried deleting the policy statement and commit, got the error message below:

!!% Deletion of policy [RPL-description-OUT] is not allowed because it is in use at the bgp neighbor-out-dflt attach point.

end

Thanks once again!