cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 9000 - Monitor NP Interface command

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

If I have IOS XR Code 6.1.4, can I run the 'monitor np interface' command and not cause any NP blips? For example, if I want to run it on a sub-interface going towards a customer? I know if you do 'monitor np capture' that will cause a 50ms blip, but I didn't know if that would happen as well with the 'monitor np interface' command or not.

I know you can do a show command to look at either 128 or 32 hits in the Linecard Buffer depending on the Linecard, but wanted to actively look at drops off a sub-interface without causing a blip to the NP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

5.3.3 got rid of the 50ms hit with monitor np counter, we also introduce monitor np interface so that you monitor just for a particular interface not the whole np, and show controller np capture is a rotating log of drops on the NP.

The easiest way is to have TAC do this as we have a tool that can read the hex and output it as a pcap in seconds.

Sam

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

5.3.3 got rid of the 50ms hit with monitor np counter, we also introduce monitor np interface so that you monitor just for a particular interface not the whole np, and show controller np capture is a rotating log of drops on the NP.

The easiest way is to have TAC do this as we have a tool that can read the hex and output it as a pcap in seconds.

Sam

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. So if I were to do a 'monitor np interface x/x/x/x etc' it would not cause any hits to the NP, and or wouldn't cause any traffic drops for the customer? Granted I want to do this on a sub-interface mainly.

Just did this yesterday on a bundle sub-int and it worked perfectly. No reset between captures.

Sam,

I have some questions:

#1) Can you confirm that the 50 ms hit to traffic problem has been fixed in 6.1.4 and 6.4.2?

#2) Can we do a capture on an interface and sub-interface?

#3) How can I access to the TAC tool that converts hex output to PCAP? Can customer access to this tool?

Thanks,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I have already addressed all of this.

1. Yes.
2. Yes
3. Customers cannot, it is internal, but most of the drops will decode straight into wireshark, it is only with a few that like an l2 header is missing etc. The tool just reads each line and strips out unnecessary hex and other characters to build 1 packet at a time.

Sam

Sam,

Thanks for the answers.

Can I access to the tool? 

Thanks,

Charlie