Helpful
Replies

ASR9K Failed FPD upgrade

mkhalil10
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I am facing the below issue

RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:ios#admin upgrade hw-module fpd cbc force location 0/1/CPU0 Tue Mar 22 23:15:14.021 UTC

CBC UPGRADE TAKES APPROX. 3 - 5 MINUTES TO COMPLETE

AFTER THE IMAGE IS WRITTEN, THE CBC IS RESET AUTOMATICALLY TO

ACTIVATE THE NEW IMAGE. NO ACTION IS REQUIRED TO ACTIVATE THE NEW

CBC IMAGE. PROGRESS STATUS WILL BE PRINTED APPROX. ONCE EVERY 60 SECONDS.

Continue? [confirm]

FPD upgrade started.

FPD upgrade in progress on some hardware, reload/configuration change on those is not recommended as it might cause HW programming failure and result in RMA of the hardware.

Starting the upgrade/download of following FPD:

=========== ==== ======= ======= =========== =========

Current    Upg/Dng

Location    Type Subtype Upg/Dng   Version    Version

=========== ==== ======= ======= =========== =========

0/1/CPU0    lc   cbc     upg        33.2        33.5

------------------------------------------------------

FPD upgrade sent to location node0_1_CPU0

FPD upgrade completed for location node0_1_CPU0 % Failed to upgrade 1 FPD for A9K-VSM-500 on location 0/1/CPU0

FPD upgrade has ended.

20 Replies 20

Dear Aleksandar

Hope this finds you well

I was curious about ASR9K upgrade using ISSU , i was reading its depreciated in 5.2.2

http://www.cisco.com/web/Cisco_IOS_XR_Software/pdf/ASR9K_Upgrade_Downgrade_Procedure_IOSXR_Rel_533.pdf

or I got that wrong ?

That is correct. ISSU will be supported in the 64-bit version of IOS XR. In the meantime you can use CSM to help you orchestrate upgrades and thus better control the downtime. With 5.3.x downtime is less than 10min.

Regards,

Aleksandar

Thanks Alkesandar

If I used the standard method (uploading the required packages) and then activating them , how much time approximately it will take?

Thanks again

Downtime on a router will still be the same. CSM allows you to easily upgrade several routers at the time because it takes care of the orchestration.

Thanks dear

But I will have to do the same as I did in my post below (am upgrading from 4.2.3 to 5.3.3 :P)

You can do the "install add" of all 5.3.3 packages that are matching what you are already running on the router. Once all are added, activate them all in one shot:

admin install activate *5.3.3*