Views
Helpful
Replies

CGN Configuration for BGP Router

ingot.marulam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am in the middle of NAT configuration testing for new ASR9010 implementation. Customer need NAT feature and ordered ISM for the CGN. Need your help to check our configuration and the testing environtment, because we found this configuration didn't work with this testing environtment. The testing environtment is described below.

NAT Testing BGP Router.jpg

The configurations are:

-----------------------------------------

!

vrf InsideUserNAT

address-family ipv4 unicast

!

!

vrf InsideWifiNAT

!

!

vrf InsideOfficeNAT

!

!

hw-module service cgn location 0/0/CPU0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1/1/0

description NAT Test 1

ipv4 address 10.1.9.129 255.255.255.0

transceiver permit pid all

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1/1/1

description NAT Test 2

ipv4 address 100.62.16.5 255.255.255.252

transceiver permit pid all

!

interface ServiceApp1

description ASVI for InsideUserNAT

vrf InsideUserNAT

ipv4 address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

service cgn cgn1 service-type nat44

!

interface ServiceApp2

description ASVI for OutsideUserNAT

ipv4 address 2.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

!

interface ServiceApp3

description ASVI for InsideOfficeNAT

vrf InsideOfficeNAT

ipv4 address 3.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

!

interface ServiceApp4

description ASVI for OutsideOfficeNAT

ipv4 address 4.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

!

interface ServiceApp5

description ASVI for InsideWifiNAT

vrf InsideWifiNAT

ipv4 address 5.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

!

interface ServiceApp6

description ASVI for OutsideWifiNAT

ipv4 address 6.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

!

interface ServiceInfra1

ipv4 address 100.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

service-location 0/0/CPU0

!

!

router static

100.62.16.0/22 Null0 210

100.62.16.0/24 ServiceApp2

100.62.17.0/24 ServiceApp4

100.62.18.0/24 ServiceApp6

!

vrf InsideUserNAT

0.0.0.0/0 ServiceApp1

10.1.9.0/24 GigabitEthernet0/1/1/0 10.1.9.130

!

!

vrf InsideWifiNAT

0.0.0.0/0 ServiceApp5

!

!

vrf InsideOfficeNAT

0.0.0.0/0 ServiceApp3

!

!

!

service cgn cgn1

service-location preferred-active 0/0/CPU0

service-type nat44 nat1

inside-vrf InsideUserNAT

map ip one-to-one

map address-pool 100.62.16.0/24

!

inside-vrf InsideWifiNAT

map address-pool 100.62.17.0/24

!

inside-vrf InsideOfficeNAT

map address-pool 100.62.18.0/24

!

protocol udp

session active timeout 20

!

!

!

end

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:BGP-NAT#term leng 24

Wed Jul 10 00:08:35.907 UTC

-----------------------------------------

We can reach internet ip address from GigabitEthernet0/1/1/1. ServiceInfra interface and all serviceapp interfaces are up. Need help check this issue because we will do migration by the end of this week.

Thanks in advance and really appreciate your help.

20 Replies 20

Hi Ingot,

ABF config looks right (one comment, remember that ABF only works for IPv4 traffic, not MPLS, so as long as you receive packets unlabelled, it will work fine).

performance-wise, no particular config is needed and the CGN solution is deployed in many customers without any noticeable impact for final users (the latency induced by the system is absolutely minimal).

Usually, the perf issues are seen when you have MTU issues or load balancing issues (hence my suggestion to try only with one peering interface instead of three).

Since you control the host, I suggest you install wireshark on it and capture traffic, you will probably find what's going on exactly,

Kind regards,

N.

Hi Nicolas,

Just found the cause of browsing experience problem. There is an issue with ISM module that cause ISM couldn't save the CGN Configuration. I am openning this issue to the TAC. Right now we are waiting for the TAC engineer about this.

Just curious, does CGN support static 1 to 1 NAT maping? Because the customer need the static 1 to 1 mapping, if you have the configuration guide or document related, appreciate if you can share me.

Thanks guys for your help.

Hi Ingot,

yes 1to1 is available in ISM since 4.2.3 (and you configured it at some point in the configs you shared in this thread).

To quote the feature description:

"The default behavior in the NAT44 translation is many-to-one i.e, multiple private IP addresses can be mapped to a single public IP address. The one-to-one IP translation feature will ensure every public IP address will be mapped to one and only private IP address. However, ports are not restricted. It is enforceable on an inside-vrf basis i.e, it will have to be explicitly configured for each inside-vrf."

Cheers,

N.

Hi Nicolas,

Sorry, what I mean is Static 1 to 1 NAT. I checked with cisco team already, and they said still on the road map.

But you were right, I configured 1 to 1 maping, thanks for the explanation Nicolas. I really appreciate that.

Cheers,

Ingot. 

budilasmono
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We want to ask about ISM scalability issue. The issue are :

1. Each ISM handling 14Gbps of NAT translation.

2. We want to install 6 ISM module to handle 80Gbps NAT traffic from subs.

3. We only have one big bundled interface on the ASR router to the subscriber.

the diagram :

subscriber --- (gateway router) --- (ASR NAT router) --- internet

each link is 80Gig traffic.

(The gateway router) send all 0.0.0.0/0 traffic to (ASR NAT router)

(The gateway router) have bundled-ether(8 TenGElink) interface to (ASR NAT router)

(The gateway router) doesn't have capability to sort/classify/choose which customer ip goes to which interface to internet because of 0.0.0.0/0 to (ASR NAT router)

What is the solution for this, so that (ASR NAT router) can :

1. Can utilize all the ISM prefered active module for all subs.

2. Can have only one big insidevrf assigned to bundle-ether (8 TenGE link). And this one big insidevrf applied to all 6 ISM module.

3. Can use the same insidevrf name for each of all servicecgn that assigned to each of all 6 ISM module.

4. Can use different insidevrf name for each of 6 ISM servicecgn. But the different insidevrf share the same private IP pool from bundle-ether, but different public map pool. (because gateway router only sending 0.0.0.0/0 to ASR NAT and cannot do which subs pool goes to which interface to ASR NAT using route-map/set next hop).

5. Can the ISM module be bundled in one servicecgn. And all NAT process is spreading accross 6 module, and from customer via gateway with default gateway without doing the ACL to specify source of customer pool go to specific interface to get associated with unique vrf that get assigned to specific which ISM doing the nat work. But instead one big bundled of 6 ISM to 1 ISM processing NAT.

Please help.

Thanks,

Budi L

Hi Budi,

please use the thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4022965

for this discussion,

Thanks,

N.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: