Views
Helpful
Replies

CRS-1 IOS-XR Upgrade Queries

netops044
Level 1
Level 1

Hi NetPro,

I am planning to upgrade IOS-XR from the current (very old) 3.6.1 to 4.1.2 (seems to be stable).

I would like to know:

1. Can IOS-XR be upgraded directly from 3.6.1 to 4.1.2 or I will have to upgrade to intermediate image then do final upgrade to 4.1.2

Because in Cisco IOS-XR General information page, upgrade procedure to 4.1.2 is given only from 3.8.x-4.0.x.

2. When I upgrade to 4.1.2 using "p" image not "px", but when I look into SMU, all are represented as "px". But I think a node should only have same form of packages (pie and smu). In this case, I am not able to find SMU with "p" package. What can be done in case of SMU for 4.1.2 "p" package?

thanks in advance

Arun

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Fevrier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arun,

direct PIE upgrade (using install add/activate) is not supported from 3.6 to 4.1.

You have to upgrade to intermediate versions (3.6 --> 3.9 --> 4.1)

That's why you may consider other an approach like turboboot or pre-stage of flashdisks.

A lot of parameters should be taken into consideration for such an upgrade: flashdisk size, format (fat16/32), rommon version, ... I suggest you contact your cisco representative to discuss it.

-p code supports PPC based hardware (RP, and Fabric / Line Card of first generation at 40Gbps).

-px code supports both PPC and Intel based hardware (PRP, 140Gbps Fabric and Line Cards).

----> -px uses more disk space on your flashdisk (disk0:).

A -px SMU can not be installed on -p code or vise-versa.

If you want to benefit most of the SMU, you'll have to pick the -px code (and in that case, be sure your flashdisk are 4GB, which is very unlikely if you upgrade from 3.6).

BR,

N.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Nicolas Fevrier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arun,

direct PIE upgrade (using install add/activate) is not supported from 3.6 to 4.1.

You have to upgrade to intermediate versions (3.6 --> 3.9 --> 4.1)

That's why you may consider other an approach like turboboot or pre-stage of flashdisks.

A lot of parameters should be taken into consideration for such an upgrade: flashdisk size, format (fat16/32), rommon version, ... I suggest you contact your cisco representative to discuss it.

-p code supports PPC based hardware (RP, and Fabric / Line Card of first generation at 40Gbps).

-px code supports both PPC and Intel based hardware (PRP, 140Gbps Fabric and Line Cards).

----> -px uses more disk space on your flashdisk (disk0:).

A -px SMU can not be installed on -p code or vise-versa.

If you want to benefit most of the SMU, you'll have to pick the -px code (and in that case, be sure your flashdisk are 4GB, which is very unlikely if you upgrade from 3.6).

BR,

N.