Views
Helpful
Replies

cXR / eXR Admin plane user accounts

Tristan27
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling to understand what is the role of the Admin Plane user accounts.

For both cXR and eXR, when going from XR CLI to Admin CLI (using "admin" command), I'm always correctly authenticated, no login prompt appear when I go to the admin mode.

I see that for eXR and on some HW platforms, some interfaces are directly connected to the Sysadmin VM, so I guess that for this case, Sysadmin user accounts must be used.

But I don't see any other case in which we have to use these account.

Can someone please enlighten me about this ?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you first create a user in XR, on initial bootup, that user is created in the admin config because we need a user that can access all SDRs. In the case of XR12K, CRS, and NCS6K you can have multiple SDRs, called carving of a router, or making logical router instances. So you can have users associated with just one logical instance or with the entire router and every SDR. So 99% of the time it doesn't matter if you make the user in admin or exec configs since most people don't use SDRs, but to your point yes there is a difference.

In XR7 with 8000 and NCS540L there is no admin plane and everything is just in XR.

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: