Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual Host Redundancy

amunoz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi   Alexander

In a  dual host topology  can i  put the half  of ports over one host  (A) and the other half to other host (B),  and in case of host fall (A)  all the traffic converge to the other host (B).

THANKS

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't clearly understand your issue.  Can you be more specific.  Perhaps a digram?

Hi  thanks for you response,  i hope that the diagrams can help .

These two hosts, what are they?

Do they each have a separate layer 3 IP address, and this is what you are wanting diverted?

Or is this some kind of layer 2 failover you want?

Sorry about that,  ther are two  separate asr 9001 (no cluster )  each want have our ip address  betwen they  will be  iccp,    i want to use   two  10g Link  at se same time,  in one 10 gig link,  traffic of the half  9000v ports,  and in the other link   the other half of ports,   in case of lost of one host,  i want that the link to the host up   carry the traffic of all the 9000v ports.

On a hub and spoke dual homed topology you can partition a satellite (some ports go to one ICL and others are mapped to another ICL). L2fabric and simple ring don't have this ability yet.

What you want is slightly different though. What you are wanting is for say the first 10 ports to go to the first host and the next 10 to the second host and if that host fails then to switchover to the other ICL uplink.

Right now we only do load-balancing per satellite and not per port so we cannot do that. Our options are to have all traffic go to host 1 by default and if host 1 fails failover to host 2, or have 2 ICL links from each host partitioning the satellite in half so that we can protect against ICL link failure, but if the host fails then those access ports will be down since the ICLs are mapped strictly to half the satellite (the other host has no knowledge of the other access ports).

HTH,

Sam

Ok

Thanks for your answer