Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable Smart Licensing on NCS 540

I'm trying to enable Smart Licensing on a NCS540 device, but I can't find the command for it.

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:ncs540#license smart register idtoken xxx
Thu Jan 24 09:20:14.298 CET
Error: License command "license smart register idtoken " failed.
API failed because the agent is not initialized
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:ncs540#show license summary 
Thu Jan 24 09:19:11.217 CET
Smart Licensing is DISABLED

And there is no command available:

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:ncs540(config)#lice?
                                        ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:ncs540(config)#smar? ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker. RP/0/RP0/CPU0:ncs540(config)#
RP/0/RP0/CPU0:gw-ncs540-labor#admin
Thu Jan 24 09:23:06.800 CET
admin connected from 127.0.0.1 using console on gw-ncs540-labor

sysadmin-vm:0_RP0# conf Thu Jan 24 08:23:10.847 UTC Entering configuration mode terminal
sysadmin-vm:0_RP0(config)# lice? ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker. sysadmin-vm:0_RP0(config)#
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Smart licensing support on NCS540 starts with IOS XR release 6.6. Apologies for the inconvenience. Release 6.6.2 should be available on cisco.com in Q2 of this calendar year. The Extended Maintenance Release on 6.6.x will be 6.6.3, targeted for Q4 of this calendar year.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which IOS XR release are you running?

Im' running IOS XR 6.3.3, the newest available and installed by factory

Smart licensing support on NCS540 starts with IOS XR release 6.6. Apologies for the inconvenience. Release 6.6.2 should be available on cisco.com in Q2 of this calendar year. The Extended Maintenance Release on 6.6.x will be 6.6.3, targeted for Q4 of this calendar year.

Thank you for the information.

But how I have to install the essential and advanced licenses now with 6.3.3? I have them now in my Virtual Account.

Just leave them there unassigned and running the device without?

Pretty much so. The NCS540 platform will support Smart Licensing infrastructure from release 6.6.1 onwards. This enhancement will bring alignment across the NCS540 and NCS5500 product families for smart licensing enablement. In the meantime, you ca ignore any syslog messages complaining of missing licenses.

Hi Alexandar,

I have the same issue with NCS5501, same version 6.3.3.
Do we need to upgrade to 6.6.2 first?

best regards,

Purwo

hi Purwo,

if  you need smart licensing on NCS5500, please upgrade to 6.6.25.

The Extended Maintenance Release on 6.6.x IOS XR lineup will be IOS XR release 6.6.3. It will be available for download before the end of this calendar year. This will be the suggested release for all NCS5500 deployments.

I hope this helps.

/Aleksandar

Hi Aleksandar,

Thank you for the info.
Very appreciate it.

best regards,
Purwo
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: