cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to proof about Turboboot upgrade is good more than the normal upgrade?

cnipatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Expert,

As I understood, the advantage for  using Turboboot upgrade.
1.Most Clean Installation: TURBOBOOT,we can format installation disk and install XR system in it.
2.Min Service Impact: Install Mode, Install .pie packet
3.Most of Users choose PIE installation method

I recommended the customer for using Turboboot upgrade when they upgrade the IOS-XR software from v4.3.2 to 5.3.3. The turboboot option is a clean sweep install so it will be like bringing up a new node. But it no such document shows that Turboboot is better option.

the customer was asking me How to proof about Turboboot upgrade is good more than the normal upgrade?

Please kindly share idea for this question.

Thank you

Chow.

5 Replies 5

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There isn't a comparison document, maybe we should have put one all these year, better late than never i'll take care of that.

For the record, we don't want to show turboboot is better, because it isn't. Although its a fresh new, clean install, its very operationally problematic, why?

1) It formats your snmp ifindexes

2) It formats your config, so need a backup stored

3) need console access 

4) Must have a TFTP server

5) Takes longer to perform

6) Requires more work, active rp/standby rp etc.. 

7) Requires a OOB management network 

Turboboot, can be used by anyone, we don't want stop people to use it, it really should be used for emergency situations because of the above reasons, unless you have a lot of free time and engineer at heart and love the cli and getting dirty with it, just do the normal install add/activate stuff... Even better, forget about both of them, use CSM server automate the whole thing, learn something else much cooler somewhere else, reduce opex. 

Regards

Eddie. 

Thank you Eddie. 

jasencio
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Cnipatta to do a upgrade from 4.3.4 to 5.3.3 its a must use the turboboot option, or i can do for the normal upgrade?

Use the normal install option please.

Thanks a lot