Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS-XRv Software Upgrade

Cuong Nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I recently brought up a virtual Lab running Cisco IOS-XRv 5.1.1 over ESXi 5.x. Since XRv 5.2.0 is out - I'd like to try new features with the lab that I have built.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any way to perform "software upgrade" to keep the current topology/configuration but have the new XRv running.

Is there any way to achieve this?

7 Replies 7

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

This question was just moved to the right board, but the answer is not really. We don't recommend trying upgrades, it is better and recommended to install a new VM with the code you need.

Sam

Hi

I can see this thread 3 years old? Is this still holds good?

We are deploying the heavily in our network and if we need to spin the new VM for each upgrade then it seems it becomes quite challenging for us.

Could you please confirm?

Regards

Amit

hi Amit,

are you deploying XRv or XRv9000?

/Aleksandar

Hi Aleksandar

We are deploying XRv9000.

Regards

Amit

hi Amit,

you can upgrade XRv9000 like any other router. Even better, if you take CSM Server 3.4, you can use CSM to facilitate the upgrade.

Are you deploying the EMR release 6.1.4? Ref: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13212901/ios-xr-release-strategy-and-deployment-recommendation

/Aleksandar

Hi Aleksander

Yup it's 6.1.4..

Regards

Amit

Hi Aleksandar

With CSM which file extension XRv will support.

I have an ISO file, Will XRv will be upgraded directly via this one?

Regards

Amit 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: