Helpful
Replies

IOSXR upgrade, PIE? SMU?

hsien-ping tang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I would like ask one question.

If I use mini.pie & option.pie to do a full upgrade, for example from 5.1.0 to 5.1.2.

After upgrading, should I also install SMUs which file name have "CSC"(bug fix)?

or the full upgrade have included all bug-fix patch inside already?

Thanks,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tom,

You can upgrade from any to any release including the SMUs(a SMU is actually a PIE), it just has a fix, vs additional feature code (which is what a pie is).. But, it's the same stuff from an install and pking pov.

So in summary you can upgrade from 5.1.0 to 5.1.2 pies + SMU or SP, you don't need to do a two-step install which is often a wrong miss perception and causes double reload and complains... and its not really needed.

PS: while talking about SMUs and SPs. please see the following link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12199816/smu-manager-v2-aka-csmv2-and-service-packs-sp

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tom,

You can upgrade from any to any release including the SMUs(a SMU is actually a PIE), it just has a fix, vs additional feature code (which is what a pie is).. But, it's the same stuff from an install and pking pov.

So in summary you can upgrade from 5.1.0 to 5.1.2 pies + SMU or SP, you don't need to do a two-step install which is often a wrong miss perception and causes double reload and complains... and its not really needed.

PS: while talking about SMUs and SPs. please see the following link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12199816/smu-manager-v2-aka-csmv2-and-service-packs-sp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: