Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

load-balancing not properly working on Bundle-Ether l2vpn - ASR9006

Hello everyone,
I'm currently facing an issue with traffic load-balancing on bundle interface.
In the attachment file is my network diagram.

1. There is a LAG (BE5) of 4 members between ASR9k6-R1 and ASR9k6-R2
2. The downlink flow is ISP_02 -> ASR9k6-R2 -> ASR9k6-R1 -> Firewall
3. On ASR9k6-R1: Interfaces Hu0/3/0/0, Bundle-Ether1, Bundle-Ether5 are configured on same bridge-domain with VLAN ID 36
4. On ASR9k6-R2: Interfaces Hu0/3/0/0, Bundle-Ether1, Bundle-Ether5 are configured on same bridge-domain with VLAN ID 36
5. a VRRP is running between ASR9k6-R1 <-> ASR9k6-R2. This VRRP is used as GW by the firewall for Uplink.

With the below configuration, the traffic is not shared properly between the 4 members of Bundle-Ether5.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

I think this command " bundle load-balancing hash auto" on Bundle5 sub-int is breaking it. It just tells you to select one link automatically. Bundle level load-balancing (LB) config is stronger than l2vpn level one so src-dst-ip LB is not applied here.

Try removing it to see if helps (mind that your traffic should have good SRC/DST IP variability for LB to work).

You can check details on LB CLI priorities here:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-documents/asr9000-xr-load-balancing-architecture-and-characteristics/ta-p/3124809

Niko

HTH,
Niko

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

I think this command " bundle load-balancing hash auto" on Bundle5 sub-int is breaking it. It just tells you to select one link automatically. Bundle level load-balancing (LB) config is stronger than l2vpn level one so src-dst-ip LB is not applied here.

Try removing it to see if helps (mind that your traffic should have good SRC/DST IP variability for LB to work).

You can check details on LB CLI priorities here:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-documents/asr9000-xr-load-balancing-architecture-and-characteristics/ta-p/3124809

Niko

HTH,
Niko

Many thanks Niko,

I have removed the line "bundle load-balancing hash auto" on Bundle5 sub-int and I have a good result.

I have also added

interface Bundle-Ether5

lacp cisco enable link-order signaled dst-ip   <= on ASR9k6-R1 and

lacp cisco enable link-order signaled dst-ip   <= on ASR9k6-R2

Regards//

Kouacou Célestin

Awesome, glad it helped!

Niko

HTH,
Niko