cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for BNG guide or ebook to configure on ASR9k

ty.chan007
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for ebook or guide on how to configure IPoE and PPPoE on ASR9k.
Please help to recommend :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

27 Replies 27

Every main interface on the a9k is multi service, so you can peel out your "EFP's" (ethernet flow points aks subinterfaces with a vlan/combo) and do anything you like with it.

So yeah you can definitely do what you have in mind, but make sure the vlans that you want to run the different services on are separated;

one subinterface has a subscriber control policy on it to terminate PPPoE sessions or IP sessions,

another subinterface is an l2transport and is part of an xconnect or bridge-domain, whether it is local bridging/swithcing or with a PW doesn't matter at all.

Doing this as part of cluster is a great idea/approach since you dont have to define backup PW's etc. (single node)

regards

xander

hi,

Let me clarify your idea that "Use one sub-interface for PPPoE session" and "one sub-interface for MPLS to carry l2vpn traffic" ?

Anyway, I did test the PPPoE with Freeradius and it worked well . Now, i am trying to apply QoS from Radius server and i added below line to users file:

============

testing Cleartext-Password := "password"

cisco-avpair = "subscriber:sub-qos-policy-out=q_out",

cisco-avpair = "subscriber:sub-qos-policy-in=q_in",

============

Then i tried redial-in, i can only see one policy (the first policy) apply to user's pppoe interface. Below is the output when running "freeradius -X ":

==============

Sending Access-Accept of id 113 to 172.16.1.1 port 15043

Cisco-AVPair = "subscriber:sub-qos-policy-out=q_out"

Finished request 0.

===============

The second policy did not apply.

Below are the output of the "show policy-map interface all":

===================================

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:CLUSTER_01#sh policy-map interface all

Mon Jul  8 17:15:04.807 UTC

node1_0_CPU0: Service Policy not installed

node1_RSP0_CPU0: node0_0_CPU0: Service Policy not installed

node0_RSP0_CPU0:

Bundle-Ether20.101.pppoe89 output: q_out

Class class-default

Classification statistics          (packets/bytes)     (rate - kbps)

Matched             :                   0/0                    0

Transmitted         : N/A

Total Dropped       :                   0/0                    0

Policing statistics                (packets/bytes)     (rate - kbps)

Policed(conform)    :                   0/0                    0

Policed(exceed)     :                   0/0                    0

Policed(violate)    :                   0/0                    0

Policed and dropped :                   0/0                 

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:CLUSTER_01#

==================================================

If i applied the policies (both in and out) via dynamic template, I can see both policies are applied.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Hi Ty,

For multiple avpairs you want to use the += on the second avp onwards, otherwise only one is being encoded.

testing Cleartext-Password := "password"

cisco-avpair = "subscriber:sub-qos-policy-out=q_out",

cisco-avpair += "subscriber:sub-qos-policy-in=q_in",

this is specific to free radius' implementation.

regards

xander

I can apply the QoS from RADIUS now, thanks

Another question is if customer subscribes 1Mbps, should I give him 1Mbps in policy-map or i need to add more then 1mbps since there are L2 encap (pppoe + vlan) overhead ?

very nice! And yes, the shaper includes L2 overhead in its accounting. Everything except for IFG (interframe gap) and CRC.

So when you assign a circuit 1M of BW, your actual throughput will be a little less because of those headers if you look at it from say an L3 perspective.

regards

xander

Hi Xander,

Is there anyway to see real bandwidth of encap. protocol ? Will "QoS Accounting" help ?

Thanks,

That is a question with no simple straight forward answer Ty. It depends on the protocol in question as every layer might add some overhead. Assuming that we have PPPoE with say a TFTP transfer, then we have:

etherheader (12) + dot1q (4) + etype-pppoe (2) + pppoehdr (8) + ip (20) + udp (8) + tftphdr (4) + data (var)

so lets say 100 bytes of tftp data is surrounded by all this header mentioned above, whicht he shaper will account for.

if we assume that the 1M xfer rate is true data, then you have to know what upper layer protocols we are using for the overhead accounting as FTP, running on TCP has more overhead already due to the tcp header being used.

generally when we say your BW is 1M, than we mean the actual bw used on the wire, whcih is with all the overheads attached.

The qos overhead accounting is useful if there is a downstream device for instance that adds a dot1q header, or segments into atm. then we can add some extra overhead to the shapers accounting to make sure that that dextra dot1q header is accounted for, or the fact thtat we are segmenting in ATM causing cell overhead and AAL framing overheads, becuase the atm dslan may also be shaped at say 1M but accounts for different overheads.

That is why thef eature of overhead accounting comes in useful in that case.

regards

xander

hi xander,

What license do i need to deploy BGN ?  I already have BNG packag loaded to my box.

Regards,

you need the BNG license for a number of subscribers, I believe there is an 8k one as smallest one.

note that you can still set up subscribers without the lic for testing etc.

regards

xander

ty.chan007
Level 1
Level 1

What is max subscriber without license?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Taht answer would be zero, officially...

xander

Xznder,

Do u know any commercial billing for IPoE ?

Regards,

Any "decent" bng portal package can do that. it relies on the radius accounting data.

Broadhop is an example, Bridgewater is another one.

There are also some other tools that can pull data from radius accounting records and derive use time and data usage and morph that into a bill.

regards!

xander