Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast in 9000 series aggregation question

Samson James
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have three points of confusion after reading the multicast config guide for 5.3.x -- actually, there are many others, but these are the ones currently at my depth.

1. When configuring the router for multicast routing -- is it enough to assign interfaces under "multicast-routing", or do interfaces also need to be added to "router pim" -- if pim config is not necessary if multicast-routing is configured, then what are the use cases for the pim subconfig section?

2. If the RPF for a S,G that has been joined is an interface that is not in multicast-routing or router pim, will the stream be accepted, or does the RFP interface need to be added to multicast-routing or router pim to succeed?

3. Is there a default PIM mode on XR? Or does PIM-SM, PIM-SSM, and PIM-BIDIR all run concurrently and respond according to the configuration and IGMP reports that are received? -- if not concurrent, what is necessary to set PIM for SSM?

The config guide used varying terminology for seemingly synonymous concepts, so I apologize if the answers are in there and I am just missing them.

Thanks!

Sam 

1 Reply 1

1, Adding interfaces under multicast-routing enables pim, igmp, mld etc on them with default settings. The router pim/igmp/mld subsections is used when you want to tune the configuration with non-default settings, per protocol.

2, It won't be a valid RPF interface without PIM running on it.

3, PIM-SM and SSM is activated by default when the interface is configured via multicast-routing. bidir is activated with the bidir keyword when specifying an rp-address.