Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NCS-55A1-24H safe upgrade path from 6.6.3 version

Hi everyone,

I tried to upgrade IOS-XR from the 6.6.3 version to version 7.6.2 on NCS-55A1-24H and the upgrade failed. I presume that upgrading to version 7.6.2 requires upgrades to lower versions of 7.x IOS-XR as a first step. If that's correct, I would like to know which version is the first required in the upgrade path from version 6.6.3, and how many upgrades are needed to reach the 7.6.3 version. One more thing. Is it safe to perform the upgrade remotely from v6.6.3 to 7.x using an SSH session, or the console port connection is recommended? Many thanks!

Miljan Kostadinovic

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

anpetit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @miljan-kostadinovic , 
Hope you are doing well. 

From field experience, I can confirm that the following path 6.6.3 > 7.0.1 > 7.3.2 > 7.6.2 for your NCS device should work. 

Why this path? 

anpetit_0-1713252676235.png

Note: Because of Linux Kernel Migration from Wind River to Open Embedded Linux, upgrade from releases older than 7.3.1 to release 7.6.1 or later cannot be performed directly. It must be upgraded first to any 7.3.2 or 7.4.x or 7.5.x release.

anpetit_1-1713252676232.png

To perform upgrade towards 7.3.2, it's recommended to do a first jump from 6.6.3 towards 7.0.1. It's not possible to jump from 6.6.3 towards 7.3.2 directly.

Note 2It is also important to remember that you can perform a single step upgrade with a USB boot method if it's feasible.

Note3: Perform "install remove inactive" after each steps of the upgrade, to free up harddisk space. 

Note 4: Having console port connection while performing an upgrade is a good practice in case something happens and SSH connection is lost through the upgrade. 

Please, let me know if it answers your question and helped you. 

Have a nice day. 
Kind Regards,

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

anpetit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @miljan-kostadinovic , 
Hope you are doing well. 

From field experience, I can confirm that the following path 6.6.3 > 7.0.1 > 7.3.2 > 7.6.2 for your NCS device should work. 

Why this path? 

anpetit_0-1713252676235.png

Note: Because of Linux Kernel Migration from Wind River to Open Embedded Linux, upgrade from releases older than 7.3.1 to release 7.6.1 or later cannot be performed directly. It must be upgraded first to any 7.3.2 or 7.4.x or 7.5.x release.

anpetit_1-1713252676232.png

To perform upgrade towards 7.3.2, it's recommended to do a first jump from 6.6.3 towards 7.0.1. It's not possible to jump from 6.6.3 towards 7.3.2 directly.

Note 2It is also important to remember that you can perform a single step upgrade with a USB boot method if it's feasible.

Note3: Perform "install remove inactive" after each steps of the upgrade, to free up harddisk space. 

Note 4: Having console port connection while performing an upgrade is a good practice in case something happens and SSH connection is lost through the upgrade. 

Please, let me know if it answers your question and helped you. 

Have a nice day. 
Kind Regards,

Hi @anpetit ,

Thank you for your fast answer. This information is exactly what I needed. Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Miljan