cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP via BITS on ASR9010

pstebner10
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone ever done this? I see that v4.3.0 has added NTP-PTP interworking and I thought that this would be possible, but the documentation is pretty scarce.

Basically, we have a GPS clock providing BITS timing via the SYNC0 port on 0/RSP0/CPU0, and we want to be able to run the ASR as a master NTP server based off of this. Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

Paul

19 Replies 19

SyncE is synchronous ethernet, meaning that the TX clock for the ethernet is taken from a common source so that 2 interfaces effectively clock their bits out at the exact same pace.

BITS is build in integrated timing system. It is used as a source to pull in a clock from a low stratum source that you want to use as TX clock for eg SONET/SDH or SYNC-E for that matter.

Also if there is a particular interface that receives a low stratum clock that you want to use, you can sync the timing system to that clock, eg from SDH/SONET networks (which are known to have great clock quality) and use that as system timing for eg export to BITS or clock distribution to SYNC-E/ethernet ports.

regards

xander

Hi Xander,

What I understood from your words is "BITS is an external time source for distributing time to low stratum (may be the clock module/board in the router at brach offices) source which provides the quality clock signals to the SynkE. May I know  what I understood is right?. If so can I know the use of the command "clock-interface timing-mode independent| system " in the router. Please do the needful.

Your understanding is correct. BITS is a timing source that you can use to pull in an accurate clock that in turn can be used for SYNC-E.

Config example:

clock-interface sync 0 location 0/RSP0/CPU0
 port-parameters
  bits-input e1 crc-4 sa4 hdb3
 !
 frequency synchronization
  selection input
  priority 1
  wait-to-restore 0
 !
frequency synchronization
 quality itu-t option 1
 log selection errors

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ariad#sh frequency synchronization clock-interfaces
Wed Mar 20 12:38:50.252 CET
Node 0/RSP0/CPU0:
==============
  Clock interface Sync0 (Up - BITS E1)
    Assigned as input for selection
    Wait-to-restore time 0 minutes
    SSM supported and enabled
    Input:
      Up
      Last received QL: Opt-I/PRC
      Effective QL: Opt-I/PRC, Priority: 1, Time-of-day Priority 100
      Supports frequency
    Output is disabled
  Next selection points: T0-SEL-B

Hi Xander,

Can you please suggest any good documents which describes the 

detailed funstioning of sync E (eg: how it is sending SSM and  initiating 

signaling ) and PTP. I have already searched about it but every documents

mentioning only sync E is using SSM via ESMC as SSM in sonet/sdh, but nobody 

saying how sync E is sending and processing SSM (step by step) . Please do 

the needful. This is my humble request.

Ok, I did the needful and I got you this doc together:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-31582

If you need further follow up on sync stuff, you may want to open a TAC case or contact your account team.

regards

xander