cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of USB port on ASR9001 and 9006/RSP440

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

Recently I upgraded a number of ASR9006 routers, using the front panel USB port, with RSP440 cards.

Now have to do the same on ASR9001 routers, running the same code. The USB port dosent work for me on this model of router, I'm using the same memory stick as i used with ASR9006.

Reading through various documents I dont see a reason for this difference, I think this should work.

Anyone else seen this?                 

12 Replies 12

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The rommon for the ASR9001 doesn't support the external USB yet unfortunately.

To boot from USB on teh RSP440, use the mediaboot usb:// command btw.

regards

xander

I am trying to find current status on the USB support for an ASR9001. I see this post is 11 months old has this situation changed? Thanks for any new info I can get....

Hi Doug! great thanks for reviving this discussion!

I have some good news! The functionality is there now, but not yet in an official release yet.

The DDTS that integrates this support is CSCuf78004.

Trying to get this in XR513.

cheers!

xander

Hi Xander,

Do you have any recent info when the 5.1.3 release will come out? This might be important for some customer projects as this is the exteneded maintenance release. Also I have seen in 5.2.x roadmaps that there will be some enhancements to the cluster upgrade process...is there ANY development on ISSU regardingt at least minor SW upgrades?

The target date for 513 is 8/29 (give or take), considering this is our EMR indeed for the 51 release, if we find issues before release we will hold off posting until those are addressed, so allow for a slip here, making it availability in september if that works for you.

Definitely a good release to target. I hope you have seen the strenght of XR4.3.4 and we have taken further lessons from that implemented on 513 so 513 is going to be an even stronger release! :)

ISSU remains a top focus. We are using that technology in order to prevent reload smu's for instance. Depending on feature/functionality integration between releases, ISSU may work, however API and CLI changes generally will not allow for ISSU.

a 512->513 may be full ISSU, but we'll have to see as we move forward in that release. I can almost guarantee that an ISSU from 510 to 513 will come with a lot of disclaimers etc. But I am jumping the gun here, so standby if possible as we go through the fix and test cycles. I should know more by July timeframe when that release upgrade is tested.

cheers!

xander

Hi Xander,

Thanks for the detailed answer...though I dont easily accept that ISSU is hard to do. Other OS like NX-OS show that it is possible and other vendors do too. So I dont see a reason why IOS-XR cant do it. So far we have one single path from 4.3.0 to 4.3.1 which is ISSU capable and this is very poor compared to the years the ASR9K platform is already launched. Also I have not seen ANY remark to ISSU in the roadmap up to 5.3.0, so either this is a hidden focus or I dont know...

Discussion seems to diverge a bit from the USB support question on ASR9001, but this is an important topic. I would like to capture this under its own umbrella for those that are interested in this topic also.

ISSU is not simple. The minute one makes API changes or CLI changes ISSU is hard to maintain. When do those changes happen? based on feature requirements we get from our users... It is a delicate tradeoff between features and support, since we have reduced the reboot time from 30 mins in 42 (with 1M routes and full convergence) down to 8 minute in shipping 512 release and with a target of 5 mins in 513 I think we are minimizing the impact that reloads have on the operations.

Also having a true maintenance release eg 434 and 513 allows for much better support. ISSU is definitely doable within a specific feature set, however there are always some restrictions which we try to disclose to the best of our ability.

Nexus platforms have much less feature requirements and for that reason it is much easier to achieve there. Also we have many high availability and redundancy improvements in place such as GEO redundancy, cluster and the like to allow for near 100% up time.

It is just a very balanced trade off between meeting the demands from two different camps of requirements that are mutually exclusive. For instance the EMR (extended maintenance release) strategy gives that stability view, but prevents quick delivery of feature(ttes). For this we are implementing a feature-pack strategy (a-la service packs but with extra goodies) to serve as many people as we can.

We're not sitting still in this front :)

Will you be attending Cisco Live next week? Would love to meet you and discuss this more in detail or in some other "forum" to go into the details.

I know the competition (ALU) has a solid story in this regard, but see it working first. I generally don't discuss competitors, because I feel everyone has goods and bads and my itent is to show you the functionality we have and are planning for.

You know cisco strategy is to give an open book always, and more often then not it bites us in the butt. At the same time I hope you can see and experience that we take requirements very seriously and act on it directly.

But then again, it is always a balancing act between different views, and I always take direction from genuine and supportive users like yourself on the product we create so proudly to influence decisions and take try to make the best strategic decisions possible...

While this is not a conclusive answer I realize ,I am telling you that ISSU has a LOT of focus and many improvements are in progress to improve the overall user experience. As you're moving from 43 to 51 and beyond, I hope you'll experience it also.

cheers!

xander

Hi Xander,

Thanx for the very extensive response to this topic. Unfortunately I can not make to to Cisco Live this time but for sure at some point in the future and look forwarding meeting you then. I can also confirm that there have been some huge improvements over the last months and years. Nevertheless, what you might keep in mind is that the market in Europe is different from that in the US and what might fit well as a "small" edge box in the US is often a crucial core element in an European network, thus the focus in ISSU. But its good to know that the topic is well placed at Cisco ;)

Regards,

Florian

Florian,

We are driving a few programs towards ISSU on none cluster systems, they should set in stone in the next couple of weeks.

on Cluster (NV EDGE) ISSU, we have a program called nVSSU, and depending on what topology and applications and protocols you have (regardless of chassis type) we can achieve anything from millsec upgrade to under 30 seconds. Are you interested? Release date for this project is Mid of Oct.. Would love your eft feedback..

Eddie.

Hi Eddie,

What I heared is that these improvements will be part of 5.2.2? We still have some customers out there comparing Cat 6500/6800 with ASR9K, so if we achive about the same level of convergence like VSS I think we are on a good way.

Regards,

Florian

Thats the goal. if you do have a NV EDGE and want to tow a round let me know.

Better news, this change from CSCuf78004 to support usb on 9001 went in XR 5.1.1 via CSCuj85173, so you're all set!!

regards

xander

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: