Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot integrate CIMC in DNAC health monitoring

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I have just updated my DNAC to 2.3.5.x and I am trying to integrate the CIMC in the DNACs system health monitoring.

But when I try to do so, I get an error on the GUI after it stalls for a bit.

"Cannot finish Cisco IMC configuration because the UUID of Cisco DNA Center address and Cisco IMC address do not match."

Has anyone seen this before?

DNAC Version: 2.3.5.3-70194

DNAC HW: DN2-HW-APL

CIMC Version 4.0(2c)

One other thing I notised is that the Serial Number says: Default String.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rasmus,

I am sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. From the symptoms, you are most likely running into a known issue. (CSCwe19481 / CSCwe22398 / CSCwd81879)

You should have been able to upgrade and not experience this symptom. That said, we have seen this problem arise with some clusters.

The first thing to mention is the version of the Cisco IMC that you are running. CIMC Version 4.0(2c) should work with 2.3.5.x, but the tested an verified release is 4.1(3d). So one plan of action would be to schedule a maintenance release to upgrade the Cisco IMC when you can.

From the Release Notes:

Supported Firmware

Cisco Integrated Management Controller (Cisco IMC) versions are independent from Cisco DNA Center releases. This release of Cisco DNA Center has been validated only against the following firmware:

- Cisco IMC Version 3.0(3f) and 4.1(2g) for appliance model DN1-HW-APL
- Cisco IMC Version 4.1(3d) for appliance model DN2-HW-APL
- Cisco IMC Version 4.1(3d) for appliance model DN2-HW-APL-L
- Cisco IMC Version 4.1(3d) for appliance model DN2-HW-APL-XL

Note: This upgrade would most likely fix your issue.

The second option to try as a workaround until you can get to the Cisco IMC upgrade. In your cluster, you can make a change in the configuration which may cause a change to occur and your missing values may return and then you can continue with the Cisco IMC configuration in the System Health section.

Note: this change is also disruptive to the Cisco DNA Center while it updates it's configuration. So making any changes is suggested during a maintenance window also. If this is a lab, the you can make any changes at will.

- Access the Cisco DNA Center Cisco IMC UI
- Open a KVM console to the CLI of the Cisco DNA Center
- Login as your "maglev" user
- Run the CLI command 'maglev-config update'
- Change one field (any field should work, add or remove a DNS server etc...)
- Save changes and exit
- The Config Utility will apply the configuration and services will restart
- Once all of the services have all restarted and the system is running, the HW platform values should return as expected.
- You can then retry the add Cisco IMC to the System Health configuration on the Cisco DNA Center.

Note: this is a workaround that has worked in multiple clusters but not a guarantee to fix issue.

I hope this helps and if you continue to have issues, please open a Cisco TAC Case so that we can assist you further.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi Rasmus
i have similar task for my DNAC appliances. In the past i found section in manual on the topic of DNAC HW monitoring via CIMC monitoring integration in the DNAC system health assurance. i didnt bookmark it unfortunately. Could u please share your experience on it?

thanks 

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hi @andy!doesnt!like!uucp 

I think we have some kind of bug, as I am not able to see the serial number in the DNAC or log in to the CIMC.

do u have a TAC SR by any chance?

No, I have not created a case yet, as I wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions on the forum.

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rasmus,

I am sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. From the symptoms, you are most likely running into a known issue. (CSCwe19481 / CSCwe22398 / CSCwd81879)

You should have been able to upgrade and not experience this symptom. That said, we have seen this problem arise with some clusters.

The first thing to mention is the version of the Cisco IMC that you are running. CIMC Version 4.0(2c) should work with 2.3.5.x, but the tested an verified release is 4.1(3d). So one plan of action would be to schedule a maintenance release to upgrade the Cisco IMC when you can.

From the Release Notes:

Supported Firmware

Cisco Integrated Management Controller (Cisco IMC) versions are independent from Cisco DNA Center releases. This release of Cisco DNA Center has been validated only against the following firmware:

- Cisco IMC Version 3.0(3f) and 4.1(2g) for appliance model DN1-HW-APL
- Cisco IMC Version 4.1(3d) for appliance model DN2-HW-APL
- Cisco IMC Version 4.1(3d) for appliance model DN2-HW-APL-L
- Cisco IMC Version 4.1(3d) for appliance model DN2-HW-APL-XL

Note: This upgrade would most likely fix your issue.

The second option to try as a workaround until you can get to the Cisco IMC upgrade. In your cluster, you can make a change in the configuration which may cause a change to occur and your missing values may return and then you can continue with the Cisco IMC configuration in the System Health section.

Note: this change is also disruptive to the Cisco DNA Center while it updates it's configuration. So making any changes is suggested during a maintenance window also. If this is a lab, the you can make any changes at will.

- Access the Cisco DNA Center Cisco IMC UI
- Open a KVM console to the CLI of the Cisco DNA Center
- Login as your "maglev" user
- Run the CLI command 'maglev-config update'
- Change one field (any field should work, add or remove a DNS server etc...)
- Save changes and exit
- The Config Utility will apply the configuration and services will restart
- Once all of the services have all restarted and the system is running, the HW platform values should return as expected.
- You can then retry the add Cisco IMC to the System Health configuration on the Cisco DNA Center.

Note: this is a workaround that has worked in multiple clusters but not a guarantee to fix issue.

I hope this helps and if you continue to have issues, please open a Cisco TAC Case so that we can assist you further.

Hi  @Tomas de Leon 

I am not able to access the Bug IDs you have shared.

Right now we are running version 4.0(2c) and I would like to update to the version you recommend.

Do you know how I do that without access to the GUI of the CIMC?

Hi Rasmus
just realized that u faced side effect of inability to access DNAC CIMC GUI after integration submission. Meaning u cannot open CIMC GUI or u cannot login into CIMC GUI with previously defined admin creds or ...?
Is it expected behaviour?

@Tomas de Leon i also cannot view that bugs with my partner access(

Hi,

Yes I am able to login with the credentials, but the GUI shows an error and I cannot change anything.

Hi Rasmus
in what place in the CIMC GUI u have n error? we have CIMC integrated with DNAC 2.3.5.3-70194 & only artefact is false disk failure coming from each chassis in the System/System Health:

Sep 4, 2023 4:46 PM
Cisco DNA Center Disk 20 has failed on <DNAC-1>
State
NotGood
Domain
Cisco DNA Center Appliance
Sub Domain
DISK
Instance
<DNAC-1>/10.X.Y.Z/sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-RAID/pd-20/general-props

BugIds as a reference if you open a Cisco TAC Case.  These are internal defects that have been reported.

As mentioned above or in the other article...

Remove the power source for a minute or two and let the Power Supplies drain out.  then plugin the cable again and power on the appliance.  At that time, you should be able to access the UI and perform the Upgrade.

Hi @Tomas de Leon 

I have now updated the CICM to the recommended version, but did not upgrade the BIOS or NIC/RAID Firmware.

And now I am able to do the integration from the DNAC GUI to the CIMC