cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Essentials. Do I need it?

ceva156
Level 1
Level 1

I was notified from Cisco that my C9300 DNA Essentials is about to expire. Product number C9300-DNA-E-48=.

We're a small shop, and if I recall correctly, we were required to purchase DNA with the switch as a mandated SKU. If I understand correctly, "DNA" is their centralized management tool with automation capability. Again, small shop here. I may go into the switch to change VLAN's here and there, but otherwise it's in a "set it and forget it" mode.

Therefore, I don't believe I need to renew this. Tech support is covered under Smartnet, I believe, right?

8 Replies 8

Hi

You are **bleep** right!

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do not have DNAC environment, then i would ignore that, since Switch basically ship with Eseenrial License perpetual, so not to worry much, that you get compliance alerts. but switch works as expected.

yes smartnet cover for replacement and support.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi balaji,

good day.

i heard people saying dna essential as perpetual license. but i am confused that, its not actually perpetual when perpetual means lifetime validity. but during purchasing (for example a cat 9200 switch) we choose DNA essential license term for 3 years and payinf a subscription charge for it. so it must be expired after 3 years. then how it can be a perpetual license ??

also please let me know the features of dna essential license and what actually happens after dna essential license expiration. any service impact ??

regards

Imran

Essential is perpetual, any this DNA is subscription and new cat 9 Mandatory to add.

regarding expiration nothing happens to the device, the device works as expected.

check the License levels :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-9/release_notes/ol-16-9-9300.html#id_67836

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

hi balaji,

thanks for your reply but again i am confused when you are using the word perpetual (which mean lifetime subscription)

let me clarify my point. i have purchased cat9200L switch with 3 years DNA essential license. while doing cisco ccw estimation there is mandatory option for DNA essential license for 3/5/7 years. so if DNA essential is perpetual then why cisco kept 5 and 7 years option. everyone should buy switch with 3 years DNA essential and get lifetime license (as you said it is perpetual type license)

please clarify me brother.

regards

Imran

The subscription/license matrix for switching has a lot of useful information on what functionality is included in which subscription/license.

Network essentials is perpetual, while DNA essentials is subscription based. So when your 3 year subscription expires nothing will happen in terms of functionality, but you will no longer be within license compliance for DNA essentials(you can check license consumption in your smart account). If you don't use the DNA functionality you can just change license level on your switch to maintain compliance with the following command:

license boot level network-essentials
Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

You might want to have posted this question in another part of the community than here. This is the Other Collaboration Subjects and this does not seems to be very related to this.

Response Signature

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the network does not have a DNAC appliance, let the DNA Essentials license lapse.  Nothing is going to happen.  There is no "enforcement".