Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric-Site vs Fabric in a Box

Xividar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Operationally, and feature set wise, are there any differenes between a Fabric-Site and Fabric in a Box. My main area of thought is Wireless. Can I still have a centralised WLC that supports a distribted campus? I.E, lots of Fabric-Sites and Fabric in Boxes.

Cheers

4 Replies 4

Dan Rowe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fabric in a Box or 'FiaB' is a type of device which can be provisioned to a Fabric-site. Fabric in a box is essentially one device which is provisioned as an Edge node, Border node, and Control Plane node. Some devices which support being provisioned as a FiaB can even take it one step further by adding embedded wireless capabilities to the FiaB. 

We are large consumers of the FIAB configuration. We use it so we don't expose the vlans from our main campus site to our partner / WAN locations.  we have recently found out and are currently testing the embedded wireless controller on my 9300s because this feature is required to utilize wireless at the FIAB sites.  

anthony.wild
Level 1
Level 1

We are also using FIAB extensively, even beyond the published/advertised limits with a number of subtended edge and even policy extended nodes. We also enable the eWLC functionality and provision the APs in fabric mode to the FIAB. We have not hit any performance limitations, even upwards of 1000+ endpoints.

thats very intresting, yes its all depends on use case and client usage, if simple usage yes that should work. Cat 9K has good chipset so it can handle

but good to know your input.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help