Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network devices config backup through DNA

Hi All,

Our DNA version is 2.2.2.5 and it manages many switches and WLC.

How I can do network devices config backup through DNA ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

** Current Configuration Archive feature is a "Manual Process" per device
I have attached my technote on this process

** New Configuration Archive Feature coming in version 2.3.2.x
Configuration Archive

Cisco DNA Center internal server will periodically back up your device's running configuration. You can select the day and time for the backup and select the total number of config drifts being backed up (note: total config drifts being saved included all the labelled configs for the device). To archive all the device's running configurations, you can configure an external server.

Configuration_Archive-NewFeature_01.pngConfiguration_Archive-NewFeature_02.png

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

As far as I have heard the DNAC is not meant as a traditional config backup solution.

It does not backup configuration and present it to us as we are used to from other solutions.

It does however have the config compliance/diff feature that will make sure the DNAC always have the latest version of the config, and can show you what have changed between revisions.

But you wont be able to extract the config.

However there is the option to RMA a device using PnP and replace the device with a new device with the exact same model number. config, licenses and all.

I know this is not the answer you wanted, but if you want a "normal" config backup restore solution I would look at something else. Or use the "Make a wish" feature in DNAC.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DNAC already hold the configuraiton , Current  one and 1 previous version as per i know.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

** Current Configuration Archive feature is a "Manual Process" per device
I have attached my technote on this process

** New Configuration Archive Feature coming in version 2.3.2.x
Configuration Archive

Cisco DNA Center internal server will periodically back up your device's running configuration. You can select the day and time for the backup and select the total number of config drifts being backed up (note: total config drifts being saved included all the labelled configs for the device). To archive all the device's running configurations, you can configure an external server.

Configuration_Archive-NewFeature_01.pngConfiguration_Archive-NewFeature_02.png

Do you know if this feature was pushed back?  I was reading through the release notes for 2.3.3 and I didn't see any mention of it.

abenitoa
Level 1
Level 1

On 2.3.3 you have to go to System->Settings->Device Settings

yensheng_lin
Level 1
Level 1

on 2.3.5. it has changed to System > Settings > Configuration Archive.

But it looks likely DNAC development team will not reverse to the traditional method for backup the device configuration.

This is a huge shame. This is one of the main reasons why I have been holding out on migrating to DNAC from PI. 
We never implemented PnP so if/when we had a device die on us, we would easily extract the config backup from PI and put it on the replacement device.

@Noclss2000 ,

Catalyst Center (aka Cisco DNA) has the configs you need.  When a device dies, use the RMA workflow to replace it with the same type of device and the config replacement happens automatically.  You can find demos of RMA workflow on Cisco's youtube channel.

In my mind, the configuration archive tool is intended more to be able to tell your management that you have a safe config backup, just in case.  

not exactly what I wanted to hear. We should have the ability to export the configs out of a solution that essentially has the configs stored. I also believe us having the configuration archive from our standpoint may also be a compliance requirement (I have to double check how PCI compliance is worded).

Yes, config archive gives you the ability to export for compliance.  But the easiest way to see the device config is by clicking on the name of device in Inventory to get Device Details and then finding the Configuration option from the menu on the left.