cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any alternate sounds available for Jabber Chat alert?

rshook
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, the default 'sound' for chat alert isn't catching my attention - is there a way to select alternate sounds yet?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

svujovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Roger,

There is no way to select another sound for im in jabber. You can copy music sample that you want to be im alert (format must be .wav) into folder C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Sounds and rename it in imAlert, and restart jabber.

Regards,

Suzana

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

svujovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Roger,

There is no way to select another sound for im in jabber. You can copy music sample that you want to be im alert (format must be .wav) into folder C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Sounds and rename it in imAlert, and restart jabber.

Regards,

Suzana

I've copied and renamed a .wav file to replace the default imAlert.wav file but the sound is distorted. Instead of the "Mac Startup" sound it sounds more like the 'booooooonnnnnggggg' from Monty Python's Holy Grail when Lacealot is charging repeatidly at the castle (http://youtu.be/9ryPUJyQf6g?t=25s).

This revolation, although hilarious in application, was not the intended result and I wanted to verify if there are any specific criteria this notification tone needs to follow - duration, size, bit rate, etc - in order to avoid such a distortion.

Origianl imAlert.wav

Size: 7.34KB

Length: <1second

Bit rate: 256kbps

My file

Size 239KB

Length: ~1second

Bitrate: 1411kbps

I've verified with the default alert tone within Windows 7 as the mail notification within Outlook which is also very distorted, the stats of that file are below:

Windows Notify.wav

Size: 222KB

Length: ~1second

Bitrate: 1411kbps

I tried to convert the file to the specs of the original wav file to no avail. The file plays fine within Windows Media Player but as a notification tone it's terribly distorted now.

imAlert.wav (original)

Size: 7.35KB

Length: 0.23sec

Bitrate: 256Kbps

Channel: Stereo

SampleRate: 16000hz

My File (as converted)

Size: 44.16KB

Length: 1.41sec

Channel: Stereo

Any guidence is greatly appreicated (I can as well create my own thread if need be).

Thanks!

I have this same problem, the executive admins in my company have reluctantly converted to Jabber for IM at our insistence, but the notification alert is too subtle. Attempts to change it (by replacing the native imAlert.wav file) have had the distorted playback, no matter the source file.

My people are currently using the distorted alert just to have something they can actually HEAR in a busy office with their volume maxed, but would definitely prefer a better solution. Any suggestions from Cisco?

I was able to do this by using a wav file editor. What I did was open the Origianl imAlert.wav using wav editor  and the other wav file that I want to replace it with. I copied the wav forms to the orginal file and save it. It seems to work for us. Attached file try it. 

Suzana, do you even check what you offered as the official solution from Cisco even works well or do you even care?

For all the users, no need to look further and you can see Cisco needs more than a year to work on this issue. The mean while switch to other IM providers for peace of mind.

"Jabber for Windows feature request|2161769" (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=change%20jabber%20alert%20sound%20options&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQrAIwAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsupportforums.cisco.com%2Fthread%2F2161769&ei=Ts8IUuvMBabC2gX-pIDgBw&usg=AFQjCNG4OGukr82yQ8YUVFxdhEfH033ODg&bvm...)

Hi all,

Sorry for delay response. I will check in documents if there is recommended file size and format for sound alert.

Regards,

Suzana

Please keep it simple.  Just get us a .wav file that has a loud pleasant sound, like BING or BONG.  The CLICK sound does not do it. Post the .wav file here for us to down load.  That should not be a hard thing to do.

Hi,

There is no documentation for this, it's not officially supported.

Regards,

Suzana

Hi, I'm following the thread on the notification sound when PM'd but is there a way to change the ringing tone when making a softphone call. By default it's US but I'd like to use the UK's version of ringing tone just like IP communicator and hardphones?

Thanks

I would like a copy, but I cannot get to the link you provided.  Please put it somewhere I can get to.

Herman

Hi There,

has anybody got an idea where the actual jabber ringtone file is located on a Windows 7 machine?

Cheers

Emmanuel

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Sounds\Ringtones

or for chats

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Sounds\Jabber Chat Alerts

gmoore_sjc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I had a user request a change to the default IM incoming sound as well. I took the sound from Trillian and modified it to match the original Jabber sound file properties. After replacing it, the new sound plays without distortion but then strangely, both sounds play so the click and the ping of sound I have linked below. It does work though and the sound is much more noticeable in a quite office environment.

64bit:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Sounds

32bit:

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Sounds

https://sjgov.box.com/s/r7rsd0soxfu8r1rf02dg

imAlert.wav

Size: 40KB

Length: 1sec

Channel: Mono