cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Way to Configure Directories

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

I have been reading a lot about directory integration for a Jabber deployment and I am finding a lot of different ways to configure the same thing...

Jabber: v12

CUCM and IM & P Server: 10.5

What is the best way to configure Jabber Directory integration? We are using a MS Active Directory, so I would assume this would mean configuring EDI. But, we also have some Mac users in our office, so would/can I configure BDI as well as EDI?

As for configuring EDI. I have configured a UC Service for our Active Directory: CUCM > User Management > User Setting > UC Service > Directory... And I simply added our AD Server address, kept 389 as the port, and TCP as protocol. And then, after I configured that, I set that UC Service Profile as the Default UC Service Profile in CUCM.

Is that enough to configure EDI for the Jabber Clients? Do I also need to add anything in the jabber-config.xml file as well? I'm just a bit confused because there seems to be a bunch of different ways to integrate AD Directory for Jabber, like in the jabber-config.xml, on CUCM's UC Services, and in the IM and Presence Server directly...

I assume I also need to configure BDI for the Mac Users... Does this mean I need a 2nd jabber-config.xml file for Mac Users only?

Sorry, just a bit confused as to what's the best way to do all this?

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EDI and BDI are not applicable anymore, make sure to read the Jabber docs for the version you're using, that's for older releases.

The recommended way is to either use SRVs or service profile, make sure to review the Jabber 12.x documentation, the directory integration chapter. 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EDI and BDI are not applicable anymore, make sure to read the Jabber docs for the version you're using, that's for older releases.

The recommended way is to either use SRVs or service profile, make sure to review the Jabber 12.x documentation, the directory integration chapter. 

HTH

java

Hey Jaime, thanks for the reply.

Looking at the On-Premises Deployment for Cisco Jabber 12.0, it states both Config file and Service Profiles can be used. But, Service Profile takes precedence...

Client Configuration for Directory Integration

You can configure directory integration through service profiles using Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 9 or later or with the configuration file. Use this section to learn how to configure the client for directory integration.

When both a service profile and a configuration file are present, the following table describes which parameter value takes precedence.

Service Profile

Configuration File

Which Parameter Value Takes Precedence?

Parameter value is set

Parameter value is set

Service profile

Parameter value is set

Parameter value is blank

Service profile

Parameter value is blank

Parameter value is set

Configuration file

Parameter value is blank

Parameter value is blank

Service profile blank (default) value

I included the option (*below) in the jabber-config.xml file that prevents Local Address Book Contact lookup with the statement:

<EnableLocalAddressBookSearch>false</EnableLocalAddressBookSearch>

But, I am still able to search in Jabber and it displays contacts from my Outlook. I thought I remember reading something that said if you choose to include Calendar integration for Jabber with MS Outlook then the contacts would also be available. But, I can't find the page where I read that, do you know if that's the case?

Thanks Again,

Matt

Hi there

Just wondering is that jabber-config.xml is getting effect. Easy way to check the config is http://CUCMPub:6970/jabber-config.xml.

Your <EnableLocalAddressBookSearch>false</EnableLocalAddressBookSearch> should work.

Did you restart the TFTP service after uploading the xml file.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Hi Rath, thanks for the reply.

Yes, if I go to that page in CUCM and view jabber-config I can see the config file, and I did make sure to restart TFTP whenever I make a change to the file.

Do you ever remember reading anything about enabling Calendar Integration with MS Outlook and that could be causing access to Outlook's Contacts with Jabber?

I guess I'll try disabling the Calendar integration and see if I can still search my local contacts from Outlook.

Thanks Again,
Matt

Looking at it again. I think maybe the search results I'm seeing are actually from my Recents call logs and not Outlook.

I noticed doing searches before, that in the results there would display 2 sections, something like "Contacts and Recents" and a 2nd one, maybe it said "Directory". Do you anything about this?

-Matt

OK, you're confused here, that's applicable for parameters/settings that exist on both places.

There are plenty of parameters that you still need to configure in the .xml as they're not available anywhere else.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: