cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CJ4W: Persistent Chat / MaxNumberOfBookmarks

Mark Swanson
Level 4
Level 4

According to Cisco docs, the default value for MaxNumberOfBookmarks is 30. What is the maximum number of (Persistent Chat Rooms) bookmarks that a user can belong to? Can I increase the MaxNumberOfBookmarks to 100 or 1,000? I would assume, increasing the MaxNumberOfBookmarks would likely cause performance related issues IF users joined too many Persistent Chat Rooms.

-Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

i just made a lab re-create the issue which you are addressing.

CUPS : 10.5.2

Jabber : 11.7

configured the below parameter in jabber-config xml file.

<MaxNumberOfBookmarks>35</MaxNumberOfBookmarks>

Observation : as soon as i made the 31st room and tried joining it , i got the same error message which you are reporting. This means it is working as designed. Jabber can not enter/join more than 30 chat rooms.

NOTE : Rooms made by other users will be listed in All Rooms section but jabber will be able to join only 30 rooms. But this won't stop users to create the rooms because of the below parameter on CUPS server.

Maximum Number of Rooms Allowed : 5500 ( default value )

Also only 30 rooms will be listed under my rooms and user will only be able to join 30 rooms only. But user will be able to see all rooms configured under All Rooms.

I have seem many customer having 1000s of rooms under All rooms and server is always in a good health. The performance is controlled by the fact that no user can join more than 30 rooms.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

i checked internally and found that yes you can increase the value to more than 30. its been verified through a bug which is internal to cisco. the value can surely be increased by below parameter in jabber-confi xml file

MaxNumberOfBookmarks

i don't think it will further cause any performance issue on server because we already define in CUPS server the maximum number rooms which are allowed to be created which is by default 1500.

clarifying few points from my last update.

in cups server there are 2 option

1. Maximum number of persistent chat rooms allowed , default value is 1500. this allows you to create rooms on external database.

2. Maximum number of rooms allowed , You have to take this value in consideration as this will affect the service level of the cups server is value goes too high. you can go till 16500 but that you looking at the load on the server as well :)

Thanks for replying. Yes, I understand the thresholds on the Presence server itself; Maximum number of persistent chat rooms allowed -and- Maximum number of rooms allowed. However, I was talking about the MaxNumberOfBookmarks parameter within the jabber-config.xml file - as mentioned.

The MaxNumberOfBookmarks parameter determines how many chat rooms a particular user can join. The default value is 30. If a user attempts to join 31 chat rooms, they receive an error message.

My only concern was, if I increased this value to 1,000 (for example)... then, assuming a user joins 1,000 Persistent Chat Rooms... all of these rooms would be listed under the "My Rooms" tab. I would assume, if there's a ton of activity then Jabber would likely experience performance issues and potentially, it would spike CPU Usage at some point. Otherwise, I don't think the developers would've limited the default value to 30.

-Mark

i just made a lab re-create the issue which you are addressing.

CUPS : 10.5.2

Jabber : 11.7

configured the below parameter in jabber-config xml file.

<MaxNumberOfBookmarks>35</MaxNumberOfBookmarks>

Observation : as soon as i made the 31st room and tried joining it , i got the same error message which you are reporting. This means it is working as designed. Jabber can not enter/join more than 30 chat rooms.

NOTE : Rooms made by other users will be listed in All Rooms section but jabber will be able to join only 30 rooms. But this won't stop users to create the rooms because of the below parameter on CUPS server.

Maximum Number of Rooms Allowed : 5500 ( default value )

Also only 30 rooms will be listed under my rooms and user will only be able to join 30 rooms only. But user will be able to see all rooms configured under All Rooms.

I have seem many customer having 1000s of rooms under All rooms and server is always in a good health. The performance is controlled by the fact that no user can join more than 30 rooms.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: