Helpful
Replies

CMS UPGRADE FROM 2.5.3 TO 3.3

Vinod16
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are planning to upgrade cms 2.5.3 to 3.3

1. Do we need any release key for this upgrade ?

2. We have traditional lisences with valid upgrade contract then do we need to buy any additional smart lisences or GLO will convert THIS lisence to smart by using contract.

3. please suggest step upgrade version.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In the release notes to 3.3 it says:

The Meeting Server 3.2.2 is the minimum version required to upgrade to version 3.3. If you are
upgrading from an earlier version, then you must upgrade to 3.2.2 first following the instructions
in the 3.2.2 release notes, before following any instructions in these Cisco Meeting Server 3.3
Release Notes

But it also says:

Cisco has not tested upgrading from a software release earlier than 3.2.2

In 3.2.2, it says, that you should be already on 3.1.x

In 3.1.3, it says, that you should be already on 3.0.x

So, the docs recommend, that you do all those minor steps.

But for my experience, I have already done upgrades and haven't not followed the "correct way" and it still worked.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hello Vinod,

1. No, you don't need new keys.

2. No, you don't need to move to smart licenses. Traditional licensing is still supported.

3. You need to have a CMM in Version 3.x in place and CMS connected to it, before you upgrade CMS to 3.x

For CMS 3.x it is mandatory to have CMM installed.

My suggestion would be:

1. Install CMM 3.x
  2. Connect CMS to CMM
  3. Upgrade CMS to 3.x

But be aware of the architecture changes, especially in CMS 3.x

So, you have to re-configure some parts of the CMS.

You could also do the following, to be more sure regarding the version steps:

1. Install and configure CMM 2.5.x
  2. Connect CMS to CMM
  3. Upgrade CMM to 2.9.x
  4. Upgrade CMS to 2.9.x
  5. Upgrade CMM to 3.x
  6. Upgrade CMS to 3.x
  7. Re-configure the necessary parts in CMS

Hi , 

This is wat i am looking for 3rd step ..

can we directly upgrde from 2.9.x to 3.3 ? 

Yes, you can.

In CMS, there isn't really such a tight upgrade path like in CUCM or other UC apps.

Hello Winter,

I think traditional lisence will support till 3.0 not 3.3

If we have cms upgrade contract then GLO will convert our traditional lisence to smart lisence ?

Hello,

traditional licensing is still supported in 3.3

I think since 3.0 you have the choice to use either traditional or smart licensing.

If you have an active support contract, then normally, there shouldn't be a problem when converting the licenses.

Hi winter,

If you refer this i think this would be step upgrde from 2.5.x to 2.9 then 3.0

2.5.4 > 2.6.4 > 2.7.1 > 2.8.4 > 2.9.7 > 3.3

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/conferencing/meeting-server-1000/216011-how-to-upgrade-cms-server-from-2-x-to-3.html

In the release notes to 3.3 it says:

The Meeting Server 3.2.2 is the minimum version required to upgrade to version 3.3. If you are
upgrading from an earlier version, then you must upgrade to 3.2.2 first following the instructions
in the 3.2.2 release notes, before following any instructions in these Cisco Meeting Server 3.3
Release Notes

But it also says:

Cisco has not tested upgrading from a software release earlier than 3.2.2

In 3.2.2, it says, that you should be already on 3.1.x

In 3.1.3, it says, that you should be already on 3.0.x

So, the docs recommend, that you do all those minor steps.

But for my experience, I have already done upgrades and haven't not followed the "correct way" and it still worked.

It mandatory that you read the release notes of 3.3 and it contains all required information on  how to upgrade it.

Its recommended to use  smart licensing as traditional licensing  will be removed from future releases.

We have traditional licenses with valid upgrade contract then do we need to buy any additional smart licenses or GLO will convert THIS lisence to smart by using contract.

Refer below guide for CMS 3.X licensing. As @b.winter mentioned, CMM is mandatory.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/conferencing/meeting-server-1000/216093-how-to-install-and-activate-a-local-lice.html

Response Signature

Hi Nithin,

My target version is 3.3 and its not support traditional lisences any more ... For 3.0 --- it support both lisences .

My point 2 is still not clear .

I dint find a statement that 3.3 doesn't support traditional license. Below mentioned is the screenshot from Release not e 3.3. Open a case with Licensing TAC and they gone help you in both case. Since you already have a valid SWSS contract, they gone support you.

Upgrade paths, I always recommend  to go with Cisco's  tested case to avoid any challenges. Its your choice..  

Screenshot 2021-11-11 at 6.50.36 PM.png

Response Signature