Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6/9.0 Direct Integration with VCS Expressway without VCS Control

Scenario:

Customer has CTS Endpoints (CTS 1300, CTS 3010, CTS 3000). The CTS version is 1.9 with CTS-Manager and CTS-MultipointSwitch.

The Customer wants to enable Desktop Video using Jabber for Windows corporate-wide. The customer wants Jabber for Windows clients to interact with CTS endpoints in a meeting. The customer has a TelePresence server for MCU resources.

Does the customer require a VCS Control to enable pervasive business to business video? The customer believes buying a VCS Expressway and integrating it with CUCM directly (without a VCS Control) will allow pervasive business to business calls from the outside world.

Questions:

1. Is this is a supported scenario by Cisco?

2. Is there roadmap that the above instance CUCM <---> VCS Expressway <--> Internet Cloud <--> Jabber client with video enabled.in the future?

3. If the above is indeed supported, what are the caveats in terms of design and deployment?

I can register VCS Expressway X7.2 to a CUCM 8.6.2 SU2a however, I have not tested the configuration yet.

I would be great to get a response on this.

Zaki

6 Replies 6

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Today VCS-C and VCS-E go hand in hand and that’s the only tested way. In the future the design you speak of will be supported where VCS-E can go direct to CUCM but that’s out(10.0 maybe)

Thanks

Srini

Thank you Srini. I actually manage to get this working in the lab. However, if it is not supported by Cisco, the customer will not proceed with this on their production environment.

Interesting cool to hear that it worked

Thanks

Srini

Hello,

I wonder if you can connect to the endpoints on the internet from different companies. I tried and I had problems on getting video and audio from remote side. I suspect from the search rules I created only for my local domain.

Regards,

Tufan

Tufan,

Even if you got VCS-E and a external device to register directly, this is not a supported deployment.  Cisco only supports VCS-E with VCS-C that is then trunked to CUCM.  The VCS-C/VCS-E pairing will also be required moving forward.  Srini made reference that there might be direct VCS-E integration with CUCM in 10.0, but there are no plans to do this.  For support from Cisco, you will need to deploy VCS-C when deploying a VCS-E.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

The direct integration was alluded to us by other Cisco employees

I know I had a chat with rick Dahl and he mentioned there might be plans in 10.0 but that nothing was set in stone

So I wasn't committing to it in any shape or form

Thanks

Srini