Views
Helpful
Replies

Installation of Cisco SME

prakashar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Was told that CUCM and SME are the same ISO's. When I try to install should I be selecting the CUCM option again...I remember earlier days there used to be a separate SME option listed when we begin the install. 

-Prakash

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi there

SME doesn’t needs a separate ISO image. You can install the CUCM and add the instance to the PLM.

Below info from the CUCM 10, 11, 12 ordering guide.

For 10.X/11.X/12.X SME systems – no software or node licenses are required, and session licenses are issued as RTU certificates (paper licenses). An SME 10.X/11.X/12.X does not require physically installed licenses. However, an SME 10.X/11.X is required to be managed by a registered Enterprise License Manager (ELM) or Cisco Prime License Manager (Cisco PLM). This can be done by one of the following:
4. A customer can add an SME system to their product inventory for an ELM/Cisco Prime LM already registered for the customer’s existing CUCM or CUC systems.
OR

5. A customer can request to register a separate ELM/Cisco Prime LM – only for their registered SME. This is done by contacting licensing@cisco.com and requesting licenses to register there SME ELM/Cisco Prime LM. A nominal amount of UCL Essential licenses will be issued in order to register a separate ELM/Cisco Prime LM used only for SME.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/guide-c07-739476.pdf

Hope this Helps
Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi there

SME doesn’t needs a separate ISO image. You can install the CUCM and add the instance to the PLM.

Below info from the CUCM 10, 11, 12 ordering guide.

For 10.X/11.X/12.X SME systems – no software or node licenses are required, and session licenses are issued as RTU certificates (paper licenses). An SME 10.X/11.X/12.X does not require physically installed licenses. However, an SME 10.X/11.X is required to be managed by a registered Enterprise License Manager (ELM) or Cisco Prime License Manager (Cisco PLM). This can be done by one of the following:
4. A customer can add an SME system to their product inventory for an ELM/Cisco Prime LM already registered for the customer’s existing CUCM or CUC systems.
OR

5. A customer can request to register a separate ELM/Cisco Prime LM – only for their registered SME. This is done by contacting licensing@cisco.com and requesting licenses to register there SME ELM/Cisco Prime LM. A nominal amount of UCL Essential licenses will be issued in order to register a separate ELM/Cisco Prime LM used only for SME.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/guide-c07-739476.pdf

Hope this Helps
Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Hi Ratheesh

Thank you. So the interface even is going to be the same CUCM interface...which is strange.

Regards

Prakash

That has always been the case, I don't even recall SME as being an option during install in any release, it has only been CUCM, CUC or CUCMBE.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Have a faint memory of having seen a SME web interface after I log in during 8.6 days

If this is the same .iso as CUCM then I assume that one would use the corresponding .ova? If so, what level of .ova since there are no devices registering to it?

Thank you.

That would depend on the size of your system landscape. As an example we run a 3 node SME cluster, with one node per DC in Europe, Asia and Americas, these are based on the 10000 user OVA. So 4 vCPU, 8GB RAM and 110GB HDD. This serves 3 leaf CM clusters with between 6000 to 25000 devices.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: